Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Clutch Replacement(Needed!) difficult level?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
stinky_truck will become famous soon enough
Name: ryan
stinky_truck's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Replacement(Needed!) difficult level?

my clutch is done on my 08' 2nd gen 4x4 tacoma dub cab. so i ordered a throwout bearing , stage III clutch and fly wheel combo package from urd. i want to do the work myself. i do not want to contribute any of my funds to that toyota stealership! so i want to replace everything myself! i have a garage jacks, jack stands and a transmission jack. do i need any special tools from toyota? what is yalls thoughts? i would like to think of myself as mechanically inclined to do this job. i got a great amount of tools. or should i just have it halled to the dealership, who knows they might f it up! if anybody it gonna do her wrong itz gonna be me.
anybody replace a clutch themselves? i've got 83,000 miles.
_urz truely stinky truck
Old 10-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
sub.?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed.

Anyways Ryan as being a fan of your special "mods" (locking gas cap, fire extinguisher) I think you will completely be able to do it. Just make a thread about it with pictures. lol
Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
What part of the clutch is already done at 83,000 miles? That seems really soon for it to wear out.

Just curious.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
before i supercharged my manual truck, i let my buddy test out my truck to see what kind of balls our tacomas had(bad idea ). he didn't do a good job at shifting, i smelt clutch ever since then my clutch was never the same and it started dwindling (i alwayz baby my clutch). 15k later my rmps started shootin up and my truck wasn't responding like it should of.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
clutch alignment tool for your truck(manditory), and if they still use then , pilot berring, and no need to buy new flywheel, once transmission is off just remove flywheel and have it resurfaced at local machine shop so new clutch has some grip, 4x4 justs needs more work
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
and by more work I made it sound way too easy
Old 10-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky_truck View Post
before i supercharged my manual truck, i let my buddy test out my truck to see what kind of balls our tacomas had(bad idea ). he didn't do a good job at shifting, i smelt clutch ever since then my clutch was never the same and it started dwindling (i alwayz baby my clutch). 15k later my rmps started shootin up and my truck wasn't responding like it should of.
ah, I see. My father kinda smoked mine once pulling my bro out of some sand but not bad at all. It still feels great at 161k on the original. Your buddy must have really messed it up lol.

Like others said, you will need to at least get the flywheel resurfaced and go easy on it for the first few thousand miles to break everything in.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
sweet tnx monkeysunkle
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
tacosuprem will become famous soon enough
tacosuprem's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to hear you have to change out your clutch. 83K Is way to early to change a clutch. Dont let friends drive your shit
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Not impossible at all, just go slow and my main tip would be organization of removed parts and marking things relative to where they are before you take them off. Support your Engine.

The 4x4 makes it a bit more of a bitch though. More (heavier) shit to remove and put back up.

Seperate the transmission/Tcase from the bellhousing first, then remove the bellhousing (and components) from the engine.

Get the clutch disc installed facing the correct direction and use the alignemnt tool.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #13
y would i need to support the engine if it is already held up by the engine mounts?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #14
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky_truck View Post
y would i need to support the engine if it is already held up by the engine mounts?
The transmission is supporting the weight of the engnie as well, not just the engine mounts. Remove trans, remove support.

Why not be as safe as possibe? Take the least amount of chance.

I'll look it up tonight, see what the actual procedure is for removing the MT from your vehicle.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
tnx quaker!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
there is a member on here that did this on his first gen. look very hard lol
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
mak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmak90 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mak90's Tacoma Gallery
sub.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
i just gonna have my mechanic buddy put this urd clutch kit in for me. i'm gonna help him out so i can learn and have clutch experience. i take some pix
Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #19
toyota dealership wanted $880. another race shop wanted $650. , another said $450. my buddy said he'll do it less than $450. which i think is an awesome hook up price!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #20
after using a floor jack to elevate tacoma on jack stands i used a transmission jack to pull off transmission, stock pressure plate, clutch disk, flywheel, throwout bearing. degreased inside of bell housing.