Notices

Need some help with a bolt.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
revn247 is on a distinguished road
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to revn247
Need some help with a bolt.

Hi all,

First off, its a stock 08 dbl cab short bed 4x4 6 spd. Was out wheeling w/ some people in San Diego and ended up doing a black diamond trail. I came out virtually unscathed except for some scratches on the bed from a rock, scratches on the frame and a banged up "TRD" skid plate.

On to the problem. There's a bolt that holds the cross member that supports the driveshaft at the dbl cardan joint ( I hope thats right). Anyway, its the only bolt on the frame. You'll know it when you see it. The rock I slid over buggered up the bolt head so I went and got another bolt to replace it. Took out the old one and went to put in the new one. Wondered why it wasn't threading. Looked thru the hole and it was not centered. Damn....The cross member is riveted to the frame so it won't move.

How the heck do I line it up then?

Thanks for letting me ramble and for the help!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by revn247 View Post
Hi all,

First off, its a stock 08 dbl cab short bed 4x4 6 spd. Was out wheeling w/ some people in San Diego and ended up doing a black diamond trail. I came out virtually unscathed except for some scratches on the bed from a rock, scratches on the frame and a banged up "TRD" skid plate.

On to the problem. There's a bolt that holds the cross member that supports the driveshaft at the dbl cardan joint ( I hope thats right). Anyway, its the only bolt on the frame. You'll know it when you see it. The rock I slid over buggered up the bolt head so I went and got another bolt to replace it. Took out the old one and went to put in the new one. Wondered why it wasn't threading. Looked thru the hole and it was not centered. Damn....The cross member is riveted to the frame so it won't move.

How the heck do I line it up then?

Thanks for letting me ramble and for the help!

anyway you can get a small prybar in there to move it to where you can center it??
Old 07-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Damn revn247 you see you should have stopped at the first one , hope you fix it bro have you called toyota and asked them?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
anyway you can get a small prybar in there to move it to where you can center it??

Thinking about that too. But take a look and you'll see its riveted also.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thinking about that too. But take a look and you'll see its riveted also.
damn, you may have to look at that for a little bit. wish i could be of more help man.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
damn, you may have to look at that for a little bit. wish i could be of more help man.
Yeah, we'll see what happens.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Damn revn247 you see you should have stopped at the first one , hope you fix it bro have you called toyota and asked them?
Yeah, but what the hell....I know I could do a black diamond in a stock truck..I know I can do it better in a lifted truck too!! LOL...

SOOO....when's the next meet? I was thinking a bbq at the helipad?????
Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah, we'll see what happens.
definitely keep us posted man.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good on the meet. but some where saying they wanted it closer to oc like coast line where camp pendelton is at. im down for what ever.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
definitely keep us posted man.
Will do. I was thinking I need to get the chassis to twist to get it done. Prolly jack up one corner and see if it lines up. Kinda using itself as a pry bar. JTOL.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will do. I was thinking I need to get the chassis to twist to get it done. Prolly jack up one corner and see if it lines up. Kinda using itself as a pry bar. JTOL.
Thats actually what I was thinking. It should work.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
revn247's Tacoma Gallery
1. you can see the messed up bolt head
2. the 4 rivets holding hte x member to the frame
3. from the bottom...
4. hopefully a better shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help with a bolt.-07202008089.jpg   Need some help with a bolt.-07202008091.jpg   Need some help with a bolt.-07202008095.jpg   Need some help with a bolt.-07202008093.jpg  
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1. you can see the messed up bolt head
2. the 4 rivets holding hte x member to the frame
3. from the bottom...
4. hopefully a better shot.
Drill out the hole and use a nut to hold the bolt in place. Should solve the problem as long as there aren't other alignment issues.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Drill out the hole and use a nut to hold the bolt in place. Should solve the problem as long as there aren't other alignment issues.
X2...or grind the first hole a little larger to align with the second one.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Maybe a large taper/punch and a big hammer? Just enough to tweak it so you can get the new bolt through? A round taper/punch would work better than a prybar IMO.