Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

weird pop, and weird steering...?

Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down weird pop, and weird steering...?

Ok, today I got stuck in a little bit of mud. I had to be pulled out backwards 5-10 feet. After getting towed out, I took off and started to leave. After 15 feet or so I heard this loud pop. I kept driving and briefly checked under the truck to see if everything was ok when I stopped a few minutes later. I didn't see anything except some mud jammed between the skid plate and the rack-and-pinion stuff.
Later on, while backing out of a parking space, I noticed my front tires were about straight on, and my steering wheel was 45 degrees off center or so. Once I started driving it went back to normal, but it will still do it if I stop and turn the wheel some. Is this normal?
Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No, thats not normal.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
dang, now i'm scared.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
get it checked out asap. last thing you want to happen while driving down the interstate is for your steering let go
Old 10-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
moderately modded

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
shoot

about a year ago I had the rack and pinion repaired, or something like that. I don't think it could've been anything I did in the mud. I turned the wheels in the mud back and forth some...

I checked the slop between the wheel and the shaft down at the firewall...there's a slight amount of movement. My steering wheel tilts if that helps any...been reading some stuff on steering problems, so I thought I'd add that in their.