Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Synthetic Oil vs. Standard Motor Oil

Old 10-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic Oil vs. Standard Motor Oil

Guys need help making a decision on changing from Standard motor oil to Synthetic oil.
I know there have been other threads on the issue of Synthetic vs. Standard motor oil but hereís my dilemma.

My 03 Taco (3.4L) has 41,200 miles on it. So the maintenance schedule I follow is time over mileage. Iím old school as I do oil changes every three months or 3000 miles which ever comes first.

I also know the benefits of synthetic oil but not sure if I should do the switch due to the cost, because of the fact that I change it so often. Should I wait until I get more mileage on the truck before switching to Synthetic?
Would be getting the Mobil 1 if I switch.

What do you guys think..
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
stick with conventional if your doing it every 3k and at 42k miles
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
DAMN GOOD DEAL!!
TRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDKenE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kenny
TRDKenE's Tacoma Gallery
not another thread about this
Old 10-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Yo TRDKenE, No need to reply to this post if you don't have any input on the subject. Just click the X and go to the next Thread.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
better yet go get an oil sample and make an educated decision off that. if the oil comes back with a bad reading throw an oil change of synthetic in and then test and see wha that comes back as
Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
gunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant futuregunner_20 has a brilliant future

gunner_20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
Yo TRDKenE, No need to reply to this post if you don't have any input on the subject. Just click the X and go to the next Thread.
You could just click search...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
ColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ryan
ColoradoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDKenE View Post
not another thread about this
What he means to say is do a quick search for this there are some increadible threads in here about this.

This website is packed full of info but not full of paticence when it comes to asking questions, to where there is more threads than you can shake a stick at.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coma View Post
Guys need help making a decision on changing from Standard motor oil to Synthetic oil.
I know there have been other threads on the issue of Synthetic vs. Standard motor oil but here’s my dilemma.

My 03 Taco (3.4L) has 41,200 miles on it. So the maintenance schedule I follow is time over mileage. I’m old school as I do oil changes every three months or 3000 miles which ever comes first.

I also know the benefits of synthetic oil but not sure if I should do the switch due to the cost, because of the fact that I change it so often. Should I wait until I get more mileage on the truck before switching to Synthetic?
Would be getting the Mobil 1 if I switch.

What do you guys think..
I switched to synthetic specifically because of the time factor. The stabilizers in them last for a much longer time then the conventionals. Since I only drive around 3k a year I only do an annual oil change. You could have oil acidity problems trying that with a conventional.

If your going to change it on your current schedule regardless, then I'd stick with an organic oil because of the cost difference. Also, on that schedule your not going to have a problem with oil breakdown. Regardless of what oil type you use.

Oh, and...

I've just been waiting for an excuse to post that.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic at any mileage is the better choice for many reasons. First off, it breaks down less than conventional oil. It has better tolerances and doesn't leave half as much gunk in your engine as synthetic. Syn. will give you better mileage as it lubricates better as well. Why anybody would want to run conventional in our trucks is beyond me IMO.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
If I were considering changing from conventional to synthetic (which I already use) I'd check out www.bobistheoilguy.com. There is tons of information on that site about automotive fluids and lubricants.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about99tacosupreme has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kyle
99tacosupreme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Synthetic at any mileage is the better choice for many reasons. First off, it breaks down less than conventional oil. It has better tolerances and doesn't leave half as much gunk in your engine as synthetic. Syn. will give you better mileage as it lubricates better as well. Why anybody would want to run conventional in our trucks is beyond me IMO.
You kinda condradicted yourself about halfway down...
Old 10-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
Synthetic at any mileage is the better choice for many reasons. First off, it breaks down less than conventional oil. It has better tolerances and doesn't leave half as much gunk in your engine as conventional oil. Syn. will give you better mileage as it lubricates better as well. Why anybody would want to run conventional in our trucks is beyond me IMO.
Here, I fixed it for you.