Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cigarette Lighter Mod?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
MPhipps is on a distinguished road
MPhipps's Tacoma Gallery
Cigarette Lighter Mod?

Has anyone replaced their cigarette lighter with a second power port?

Is it as simple as ordering a replacement power port from Toyota and swapping them out. I know you can just leave out the lighter and use it as a power port but I would like to have a covered port instead.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
can you just buy the snap down cover and base from a power port?
are they not the same size? i'd have to go out and look.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
I think they are the same size, what works in one works in the other. The only difference is the little cap. ???
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you canprobably buy the little plug in cap...may not look the same as the folding one on there now, but it would still do the job. to get it the way the other one is, you probably gotta buy that from toyota, and it probably aint gonna be cheap.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe go to a junk yard and find one totaled tacoma..... both are 12v so i think there is no problem on connections
Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
trd larry
TRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of lightTRD Larry is a glorious beacon of light
Army: E4
Name: Larry
TRD Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I did the mod about 3 months ago. Took about 15-20 minutes. I replaced the cig lighter with the power port with the cap. I ordered the parts on-line, think it was about $18. I'm at work so I don't have access to the part numbers or where I ordered it from. Do a search on cig lighter. I think that will pull up everything you need to know including how to swap it out.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
MPhipps is on a distinguished road
MPhipps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Larry View Post
I did the mod about 3 months ago. Took about 15-20 minutes. I replaced the cig lighter with the power port with the cap. I ordered the parts on-line, think it was about $18. I'm at work so I don't have access to the part numbers or where I ordered it from. Do a search on cig lighter. I think that will pull up everything you need to know including how to swap it out.
Thanks for the info.
If you come across those part numbers it would be greatly appreciated.
Also, if there are any tips learned in your mod that would be helpful as well.

I will take photos during my conversion and post in this thread for others.