Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Sway Bar Connected Vs. Disconnected With an Interesting Observation

Old 10-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Someone should mod a sway bar where the center can be separated into 2 pieces with some kind of sleeve and can be a quick realize style just my idea but I'm a nobody lol
That sounds like a great idea. This would allow the sway bar to twist and then you put a pin and and stop the twisting. The only thing is I'm not sure that the center only twists but I would think it does considering the way it's bolted to the frame.

What's funny is it was one of your pics of you flexing that made me want to play around with disconnecting it.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #22
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
so who is gonna fab this up and try it out?

i really like the idea of a good strong pin or 2 in the middle

although im sure someone will find a reason it wont work lol
Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanSR5x4 View Post

My main concern is whether or not a pinned joint (or joint of any type for that matter) will have sufficient strength to let the sway bar do what it needs to without breaking.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

The one that Chris posted seems to be a solid design. It completely removes the part that moves and interferes with the cv's. In fact the prerunners may still be able to disconnect theirs. I'm not sure if it would go down so far as to contact the lca or go up and hurt something there.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #26
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
My main concern is whether or not a pinned joint (or joint of any type for that matter) will have sufficient strength to let the sway bar do what it needs to without breaking.
The Jeep (iirc) "auto" disconnect works very much like that. Two splined caps fit together to create the "bar" when the sway bar is in use. The slide apart when the sway bar is "disco"

I haven't run into any situation where I wished I had a sway bar....but I've been in plenty that not having it in helped me put power to the ground.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #27
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
The one that Chris posted seems to be a solid design. It completely removes the part that moves and interferes with the cv's. In fact the prerunners may still be able to disconnect theirs. I'm not sure if it would go down so far as to contact the lca or go up and hurt something there.

indeed

(he said as he sits back in large armchair by a roaring fire smoking a sherlock pipe reviewing all the facts)
Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #28
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post

Considering the relative strength of the two items, I think the LCA is more likely to hurt the swaybar.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #29
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
The Jeep (iirc) "auto" disconnect works very much like that. Two splined caps fit together to create the "bar" when the sway bar is in use. The slide apart when the sway bar is "disco"

I haven't run into any situation where I wished I had a sway bar....but I've been in plenty that not having it in helped me put power to the ground.
would you recomend it if i do 80% street
im dying to loose it
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #30
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
indeed

(he said as he sits back in large armchair by a roaring fire smoking a sherlock pipe reviewing all the facts)
haha.

Quote:
Considering the relative strength of the two items, I think the LCA is more likely to hurt the swaybar.
This is true but I still wouldn't want my sway bar loving it up on my lca. The sway bar could also go up and wreak havoc possibly on the brake line. I'm not sure though as I didn't test that for obvious reasons.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #31

Just a good time to mention guys:

If you get into an accident and insurance finds out you removed your swaybar, good luck.

That said, there's plenty of reasons why you might want to.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #32
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i like the idea of doing a set of splines in the middle with a sleeve that slips back to disconnect the two... but then you run into the problem of those with skid plates not being able to access the sleeve, so then your talking about a electric disconnect and thats bound to be big money there.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #33
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
i like the idea of doing a set of splines in the middle with a sleeve that slips back to disconnect the two... but then you run into the problem of those with skid plates not being able to access the sleeve, so then your talking about a electric disconnect and thats bound to be big money there.
This is true to. So it seems that what Chris posted is about the only way that you can enjoy no sway bar without completely ditching it.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #34
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
yea i've never seen it done like that before.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #35
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i don't know if it would clear all of our other suspension components (probably hits the UCA or something), but my buddy has a land rover discovery 2 and his sway bar is setup jsut how ours is. when he goes to the trails, he unbolts the two links from the spindle (both sides) and rotates the whole bar upwards, then ties it securely out of the way using 550 cord (parachute cord). he's done that for years and never had an issue, but like i said, another one of out suspension components probably gets in the way. it works easily for him because he has a solid front axel.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #36
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
i don't know if it would clear all of our other suspension components (probably hits the UCA or something), but my buddy has a land rover discovery 2 and his sway bar is setup jsut how ours is. when he goes to the trails, he unbolts the two links from the spindle (both sides) and rotates the whole bar upwards, then ties it securely out of the way using 550 cord (parachute cord). he's done that for years and never had an issue, but like i said, another one of out suspension components probably gets in the way. it works easily for him because he has a solid front axel.
That could work as you said, as long as nothing is in the way. When both sides are disconnected it does spin freely as it's designed to.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #37
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
i miss my sway bar

NOT
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #38
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i ditched mine a long time ago but pretty sure i tried that route before removing it completely. as i remember it hits one of the suspension components thus not allowing it to spin up out of the way.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #39
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

Kind of what I was thinking as well.
If it can be secured out of the way for trail use and just put the links back for you daily street use seems like the best way.
Something else to mess with now!!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #40
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
i ditched mine a long time ago but pretty sure i tried that route before removing it completely. as i remember it hits one of the suspension components thus not allowing it to spin up out of the way.

yeah, i took mine completely off about a year ago, and i think i remember something getting in the way....just can't remember for sure.