LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Sway Bar Connected Vs. Disconnected With an Interesting Observation

Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #61
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
Ahh I was looking for those pics! Thank you for posting those. I was pondering on my quick disconnect design again, and remembered someone's links jabbed their boots.

Good thing the 6" lift inverts the end links, we wont have that issue. You 3" guys are going to have to go with that fancy bolt setup the guy dosnt make anymore... Which would be pretty easy to do
No problem.

I already bought a second sway bar to try to do this to

well, once I get my welder up and running and I get decent at it.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #62
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
Awesome man. Just a thought I had, since I wont be building anything for anyone but me... Too many legal obligations. Cut the link like above, and make an insert that bolts in. This way, if your going to sell them. The buyers would only need to cut, and drill their bars for the insert. You wouldnt need to ship an entire swaybar. Or even a clamp on, and a cap for the cut swaybar to keep water out.
Are you saying cut a slit in the sway bar so the end could be slid in and bolted? That's a good idea but it would put all the load on the bolts and may not be as tight as this setup. If you notice the plates are angled so the more the bolts are torqued the tighter it is. Also I think the bolts would need to be welded to the back because it would be hard to squeeze a wrench back there. Or maybe I'm not picking up what you are saying.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #63
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Are you saying cut a slit in the sway bar so the end could be slid in and bolted? That's a good idea but it would put all the load on the bolts and may not be as tight as this setup. If you notice the plates are angled so the more the bolts are torqued the tighter it is. Also I think the bolts would need to be welded to the back because it would be hard to squeeze a wrench back there. Or maybe I'm not picking up what you are saying.
I don't think you want to weld bolts on because you are going to get pissed when you strip them.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #64
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I don't think you want to weld bolts on because you are going to get pissed when you strip them.
Nothing an angle grinder and rewelding can't fix. I don't think it would be possible or practical to hold a wrench behind the sway bar and then wrench the outside bolt.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #65
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Nothing an angle grinder and rewelding can't fix. I don't think it would be possible or practical to hold a wrench behind the sway bar and then wrench the outside bolt.
yeah, one or two little spot welds would more than strong enough, and easy to grind off if needed. now if you welded completely around the entire bolt head....that could be an ordeal.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #66
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
yeah, one or two little spot welds would more than strong enough, and easy to grind off if needed. now if you welded completely around the entire bolt head....that could be an ordeal.
Yeah, the head would need to be completely chopped off.