Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Sway Bar Connected Vs. Disconnected With an Interesting Observation

Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Sway Bar Connected Vs. Disconnected With an Interesting Observation

Letís get the bs out of the way. I do not recommend you disconnect your sway bar or completely remove it. There are obvious safety concerns involved with it. More significant, This thread is not a debate and if it becomes one it will be locked immediately. The reason I post this is to share my observations of an experiment I ran.

I was curious what the benefits of a disconnected sway bar over a connected sway bar are. I also wanted to make sure that disconnecting the sway bar couldnít cause mechanical damage(make contact with the suspension etc.).

My experiment consisted of using the hilift to get one side of the truck completely off the ground. My goal was to get the front tire approximately 1Ē off the ground. First I did this with the sway bar connected and then with it disconnected.

Enough with the Chit Chat, here are my observations

Sway bar connected-No jack present

Sway bar connected-Jack lifted passenger front about an Inch off the ground

Sway bar disconnected-Jack lifted passenger front about an Inch off the ground

Now the juicy part-I went over to the driver side slider to see if any problems arose with the sway bar disconnected
Sway bar disconnected-Jack on drivers side-lift about 2 inches

Then I go over and check before I continue and discover this
Sway bar disconnected on passenger side-Jack on Drivers side-lift about 2 inches

I didnít think that looked right, so I went over to the jack and pushed it down one more time
Sway bar disconnected on passenger side-Jack on drivers side-lift about 3 inches

Sway bar disconnected on passenger side-Jack on drivers side-lift about 3 inches

On the farther away pics it's easier if you click on it and get a full size image.

To conclude, The disconnecting the sway bar has obvious gains in travel from wheel to wheel but it canít be done. The sway bar simply gets pushed right into the cv. If I continued to lift the drivers side it would have just gone down farther and farther into the cv. Now add this to a spinning shaft and your guaranteed a shredded boot and thereís a good chance youíll destroy the cv entirely considering the force the sway bar can push down.

*Reminder This thread is not a debate and if it becomes one it will be locked immediately.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
So...in other words *remove* it?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
So...in other words *remove* it?
If you don't want to have a sway bar then the only option is to completely remove it. It's either all on or all off. This is also answers the question as to why nobody makes sway bar disconnects for 2nd gen Tacos.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
If you don't want to have a sway bar then the only option is to completely remove it. It's either all on or all off. This is also answers the question as to why nobody makes sway bar disconnects for 2nd gen Tacos.

Right. I mean, I generally wouldn't EVER recommend disconnecting a part and then leave it flopping around on the vehicle.

We needed an experiment to figure this out?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i thought when u disconected the sway bay you were supposed to remove it?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
DaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaWillDaBeast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
DaWillDaBeast's Tacoma Gallery
Good research, its to bad somone cant make a quick disconect for us. I guess I'll just keep mine on in preping for the kamikaze deer to run out infront of me.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Right. I mean, I generally wouldn't EVER recommend disconnecting a part and then leave it flopping around on the vehicle.

We needed an experiment to figure this out?
"We" didn't need an experiment at all. I did an experiment because I was curious the what the difference would be side by side and I figured I would share my observations with TW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
i thought when u disconected the sway bay you were supposed to remove it?
I guess it wasn't such common knowledge for me. I always hear about people wondering why nobody made a quick disconnect for the Taco.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up, even though I don't have a 2nd gen.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
"We" didn't need an experiment at all. I did an experiment because I was curious the what the difference would be side by side and I figured I would share my observations with TW.

I guess it wasn't such common knowledge for me. I always hear about people wondering why nobody made a quick disconnect for the Taco.
i never understood how the sway bay disconects worked anyhow
live n learn
so are you keeping it????
Old 10-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWillDaBeast View Post
Good research, its to bad somone cant make a quick disconect for us. I guess I'll just keep mine on in preping for the kamikaze deer to run out infront of me.
I think that's the reason why a quick disconnect wasn't developed. The only way to disconnect it is to remove it as brutalracingguy and Jandrews have made clear.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
You are wrong!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
live n learn
A Sway bar disconnect actually removes one side of the sway bar, allowing it to act as if disconnected.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Great write up, even though I don't have a 2nd gen.
Thank you. I'm not sure how the sway bars are setup on the first gens, but I can tell you that if you disconnect it that it will go up and down a significant distance and contact anything in it's path.

Quote:
live n learn
I always thought that it would disconnect on the spindle. I'm going to look into how other models work.

Yes I'm keeping it. At least until I get firmer suspension because right now it rocks like a sailboat with the extra weight over the front.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Thank you. I'm not sure how the sway bars are setup on the first gens, but I can tell you that if you disconnect it that it will go up and down a significant distance and contact anything in it's path.

I always thought that it would disconnect on the spindle. I'm going to look into how other models work.

Yes I'm keeping it. At least until I get firmer suspension because right now it rocks like a sailboat with the extra weight over the front.
are you saying you want to remove some of the extra weight up front
id be very willing to meet you to remove that bumper...my winch needs a home
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a Disco'ed sway bar
Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #18
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
do you have any further pics looks like a sweet system...
does it pin in then like lock up??
Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #19
Prepared for Bambi

Quote:
are you saying you want to remove some of the extra weight up front
id be very willing to meet you to remove that bumper...my winch needs a home
LOL! NO WAY! I've got some ome components in the mail now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Thank for posting that. So they completly removed any part that could cause harm.

Upon a google search I discovered that the 4 runners(3rd gen I believe) had the sway bar connected to the lca out of the way of everything

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...isconnect.html