Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Need help with urd/competition clutch install.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
MARC is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
MARC's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Need help with urd/competition clutch install

I am in the middle of installing my competition clutch, lightweight flywheel, and pdm throwout bearing on an 05 tacoma 6 speed. The throwout bearing and flywheel was easy but I am having problems with a mystery vacume line that my dad accidentally pulled out when we were trying to get to the bolts on the top of the bell housing during trans removal, and the clutch plate (which side faces the flywheel)? The stock clutch plate is labeled but the cc does not give any guidance as to which way it goes. Its friday and they are closed until monday for tech support and i was hoping to get it done this weekend. Also the instructions say to use an alignment tool that is provided, but I didnt get one of those.
So I am looking for someone who has installed a competition clutch before to help me out please. Does the clutch plate side a or b face the flywheel?

Thanks in advance, Marc

mystery vacume line to transmission (mistake...the line actually goes into the passenger side not the driver side as i typed in the picture)

this is where one side of the line connects to the trans.

side A of clutch plate

side B of clutch plate

this is what the stock flywheel and clutch plate looks like (the clutch plate is pretty symetrical on the stock plate unlike the cc that looks different on the a and b side.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Can't help with the vac lines but you DO NEED the alignment tool.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
stinky_truck will become famous soon enough
Name: ryan
stinky_truck's Tacoma Gallery
side A faces flywheel(brass or copper looking side of clutch disk faces the flywheel).
Old 10-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
the transmission breather side bolts(larger bolt 17 or 18mm head) in on top of the bell houseing with grade eight lookin bracket. and know u don't need to purchase alignment tool. use a deep socket w/ext. that fits perfect wit the crank hole in replace for alignment tool.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

all thanks to gadget!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky_truck View Post
the transmission breather side bolts(larger bolt 17 or 18mm head) in on top of the bell houseing with grade eight lookin bracket. and know u don't need to purchase alignment tool. use a deep socket w/ext. that fits perfect wit the crank hole in replace for alignment tool.
good idea!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
MARC's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, i really appriciate the help. I cant wait to hear no squeaking from my throwout bearing!!!! Ive been listening to it for 50,000 miles
Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
MARC's Tacoma Gallery
throwout bearing squeaking came back about 3 weeks after install and clutch makes a horrible groaning/chattering sound when i take off from first with high rpms. I am completely dissapointed. f my life.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
cudason will become famous soon enough

cudason's Tacoma Gallery
throwout

are you sure its throwout? I have the same truck as you and did the same exact mod. CC stage 3, new throwout, urd sleeve. As soon as we finished, took the truck for a drive. Sticky in first, and at an idle a lower pitched chirping coming from the trans...it dissapears when the clutch is depressed about half way or if i let the clutch out very, very, slowly. I'm fooked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No point throwing any mor emoney at this truck. Just wish I could make it quiet long enough to trade it in.LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
if you have to ask, u can't afford it
tacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobo670 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ray
tacobo670's Tacoma Gallery
factory clutch is good enough imho. my truck takes a pounding, with 6in lift n larger tires. clutch still grabs hard. i can still chirp tires. even after a hard day of offroading n riding the clutch. if i was gonna change it, id still use the OEM stuff.
squeeking noise - did u grease the fork n shaft where the bearing rides on? did u sand it smooth? this may help with new bearing sliding/seating itself. -i always do this when changing clutch assy.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #11
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Did you pack the inner ring/sleeve of the bearing with grease like it stated in the directions? There's grooves inside that T/O bearing that need to be filled with as much grease as you can put in them. I did this exact install minus the clutch back in October and have not had any squeaking issues since. I'll be replacing the clutch within the next months and will re grease the bearing again prior to re assembly. Also greasing the clutch pivot points is a good idea as well.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
MARC's Tacoma Gallery
I used one of the two packets of grease supplied on the shaft and the bearing grove. I was afraid if i overgreased it would contaminate the clutch. I am gonna pull the tranny again and probably put the stock clutch plate back in and replace the clutch release cylinder and the clutch release fork support and grease the hell out of everything and well see what that does. That is actually the least of my problems right now. My speedometer, turn signals, reverse lights, and heating controls quit working and my air bag light and cel came on all at the same time. I would trade the truck in but i would loose my ass because all the shit ive done to it (far from stock).
Old 01-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Damn dude...did you take it thru a puddle or something? Possibly short something out? I have an 05 double cab 6 speed TRD Off Road and no issues at all. Hope you didnt get a lemon and that sway your mind against Toyota quality! These are good trucks!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
MARC's Tacoma Gallery
Found the cause of elecrical gremlin. Ign. 1 fuse under dash was blown. Not sure what caused it but i dont intend to find out unless it happens again.