Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

05 Tacoma Mods

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
TacoChef is on a distinguished road

TacoChef's Tacoma Gallery
Cool 05 Tacoma Mods

WOW! Just finished installing a K&N Cold Air Intake, JBA headers and Magnaflow tuned exhaust on my 4.0 V-6. I have an automatic but using the shifter it pulls "real strong" through the gears! And yes it does "growl" Checked alot of internet sites, best prices and free shipping on autoanything.com. Also bought a 3" lift kit form suspensionconnection.com(Tuff Country) that is reasonably priced. Have the TRD pkg. w/ Bilstein shocks. This kit didn't require any shock change. Will wear off the original tires and upgrade thereafter. Boys and their toys!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know if your MPG change with that exhaust set up. I want to do the same thing if I can get enough cash together. Is it loud at idle or just when you take off?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #3

Didn't really modify for MPG. Just got back from the shop. Of course w/ a heavy foot! But I will try to go throught a tank of gas at normal driving and let you know. I don't know if you have tried both regular or premium but I didn't notice any real MPG difference.When you punch the throttle you can here a "whoop" from the cold air intake. The conical filter is huge! Actually at idle the exhaust isn't too noticeable. The magnaflow tuned exhaust is more of a "sporty growl" than loud or annoying.
Of course on heavy accleration it rumbles!
I installed the intake myself, fairly easy. The headers require welding so took to a reputable shop. The lift kit requires spring compression so I'll have to get help on that too. Luckily I work for Toyota and get a labor discount!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #4

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, that sounds like what I want exactly for the exhaust. did you get a cat back or just the muffler? I haven't crawled under mine to see if a cat back would be worth it or not, I found they usually are. I hate manifolds so I would love to do the headers but not till my warranty is up. If you have any pics of the project or just the completed job I'd love to see them.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
viprbomber is on a distinguished road

viprbomber's Tacoma Gallery
What was the cost for the headers installed?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #6

JBA Headers

Headers were apprx 450.00. I paid 300.00 to install. They have to cut the original manifold pipe at cat and weld the header collector to the cat.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeity View Post
Sweet, that sounds like what I want exactly for the exhaust. did you get a cat back or just the muffler? I haven't crawled under mine to see if a cat back would be worth it or not, I found they usually are. I hate manifolds so I would love to do the headers but not till my warranty is up. If you have any pics of the project or just the completed job I'd love to see them.
You don't need to do a cat back, just muffler is fine. Taco comes w/3 in piping already.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:48 AM   #8
TacoMachine is on a distinguished road
TacoMachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TacoMachine
Any word with the mpg?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
VTA HOT TACO is on a distinguished road

VTA HOT TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the K&N installed also. Been looking into the exhausts. I'm pretty much sold on the MagnaFlow cat-back (to start). Did you go with a 2.5" or 3"? Leave the cat on? performance cat?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
VTA HOT TACO is on a distinguished road

VTA HOT TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Can you back up that statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee's06Taco View Post
You don't need to do a cat back, just muffler is fine. Taco comes w/3 in piping already.
Hey Lee, I was wondering how much you know about this. I heard that 3" is too large and the engine wastes horses to expel the exhaust. Are you a tech? I was reading an article that stated this and said that going with the 2.5" is the way to go. Let me know.

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #11

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTA HOT TACO View Post
Hey Lee, I was wondering how much you know about this. I heard that 3" is too large and the engine wastes horses to expel the exhaust. Are you a tech? I was reading an article that stated this and said that going with the 2.5" is the way to go. Let me know.

Thanks,
I really doubt a single 3" would be too much for a V6, an I4 maybe.