1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud flap just fell off...is this common?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Aggie97, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I was just driving down the road at lunch, when I heard some thumping around. I pulled over and driver side front mud flap was just barely hanging on by a small piece of rubber.

I've read of a few people losing theirs while off-roading, but has anyone lost theirs just driving down the road. I've done no off-roading.

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    It's hard to believe that 3 screws and 3 snap fasteners just came out. I think someone was trying to steal your flaps!

3. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.

fasteners are still there...the thing just broke off, almost perfectly along the fender almost like it was cut off.

4. Oct 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I guess the way they flap in the wind I can understand that happening. Fatigue must had took it's toll on it.

5. Oct 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Aggie97

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    true...I'll at least take the other front one off. undecided on the rears.

6. Oct 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    My passenger side front one did the same thing. I drilled some small holes in it and zip-tied it back on. I also trimmed about 3" off of the front flaps. I basically took a compass and scribed a line 3" up that matches the factory shape, then took some snips to cut the plastic, then smoothed it with some sandpaper. I wanted to keep the mudflaps because they really cut down on rock chips and keep mud and dirt from slinging all over the side of my truck. Its easier to rinse off a mudflap than the whole side of the truck.

7. Oct 28, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    boopie

boopie 05trdoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05trdoffroad
    Toytec/Eibach Bilstein set at .85, URD TCAI , TRD catback exhaust,1.5" AAL
    I believe the wind might have broke them off or a high speed bump, toyota used cheap plastic that break so easy. I did the same thing and drilled holes and ziptied them back together.

8. Oct 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
  9. Oct 28, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Yep, I took my front flaps off for a while and then put them back on because 1) they'd rubbed a section of paint off of my flare and it looked shitty, and 2) My tires kept throwing road debris down the side of my truck and getting it a lot dirtier faster.

10. Oct 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Probably the wind. I notice before I trimmed mine, on the highway they would bend backwards in the wind. I would imagine the bending back and forth causes them to weaken and eventually break. Since I trimmed mine, they don't flex in the wind anymore.

Products Discussed in

To Top