1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd not engaging on an '04 TRD V6 Doublecab

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tanstaafl26, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    tanstaafl26

tanstaafl26 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Hi

I have the push button 4wd system on an 04' TRD V6 doublecab with the automatic transmission. When the button is pushed, I still hear the click of the switch, but the indicator light doesn't come on and the front wheels aren't powered. However, I can shift the lever into 4wd low and the rear diff lock will engage. My truck has 120,000 on it and a sizeable portion of that with 4wd engaged in the snow and in baja. I first noticed the problem last Christmas in baja but was able to get the system engaged by turning the system on and off while accelerating, braking and reversing. When it does turn on/engage, there's is no difference in the sound of the system as the button is pushed. Later in Mammoth, I tried the same routines, but it only came on after driving 5 or so miles. Any ideas? I tried a search but didn't see a thread with my equipment or specific problems. thanks for the help!

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    tanstaafl26

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    I haven't figured it out but thinking on the issues brings me to these further thoughts:

1) The 4wd engaged light doesn't come on when I push the button but low range will engage and my locker works. Will following the indicator light's switch in the 4wd system lead me to the problem? ie where is the switch that tells the system that it's actually in 4wd located?

2) Is it logical to assume that since I can get the truck into 4wd low range it means the transfer case is working? Could it be that I need to rebuild the front hubs?

3) General operation question-how does the 4wd system work? Does the button on the 4wd lever operate two seperate switches, ie the hubs and the tranfer case?

thanks

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    bajajoaquin

bajajoaquin New Member

Member:
    Hi, new here, but if I read his first post correctly, it sounds to me like the front wheels aren't getting power when it's in low range, but the transfer case is in it's low gears.

4. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    this...

i think the 04s had vacuum actuated 4wd. maybe a vacuum leak, bad vacuum motors.

On my s10 the vacuum control switch on the tcase would go bad and not actuate the add. Another possibility

5. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sounds like an ADD issue (Automatic Disconnecting Differential)... This is what our Tacomas have for shift-on-the-fly, like auto locking hubs. It is next to the front differential and is a device that inserts a fork onto the driveline to engage the front end whenever you push the 4WD button. If the vacuum operated fork isn't engaging, the truck will only be in 2WD, but you will have low range and a rear locker working because it will think it is in 4WD. The ADD has a breather next to the front differential breather, as well... here mine are, near the battery:

2-21-11lights017_2b0f088b41511dd244c77fe33c7fde958881f52c.jpg

6. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    FWIW our front add is no longer vacuum actuated. It solenoid actuated.

OP is driving an 04 so im not sure if he has the same system

7. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Thanks.. he should have it checked out regardless of how it works. I don't understand why is has waited so many months to fix his 4WD... I had an '01 Off Road 4WD, as well... with push button H4 on the joy stick. Never failed in the 5 years and 136,000 miles (many in Baja)!

8. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    yea, i hear ya. Wasnt trying to bash your post or anything. just didnt want the op to go looking for a breather that potentially isnt there...

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    tanstaafl26

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4

10. Mar 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

11. Mar 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    tanstaafl26

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4

12. Mar 20, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    tanstaafl26

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    It works! The vacuum line that seems to run from the top of the trans to the transfer case looked solid but wasn't. The end that plugs, more of a loose push really, onto the transfer case was somewhat loose and after pulling it off, the end was cracked. It doesn't have enough slack to trim and re-attach so I used a zip tie to tighten it down. When I pressed the button I could hear a hissing that I've not heard before and it took 8 or 10 pushes to get the light to come on. I might have more cracked hoses somewhere but it's working so far. Thanks for the advice!

IMG_3037.jpg

13. Mar 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    if you go to napa you can get vacuum hoses for 20 cents a foot. bring in a piece of it to match the size.

14. Apr 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    tanstaafl26

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Update (yes it's an old thread): The system went down again and I left it alone until last month. After jacking up the truck, seeing if wheels moved or were powered (they spun by hand but weren't powered) etc., & tracking down the vacuum lines, all seemed intact as did the various fuses. I took it to the shop since I'm not well-versed with an eletrical tester. Bad ADD motor up front. Reasonable parts cost and I dont begrudge the labor since I certainly couldn't have figured it out in a timely fashion. Glad I had it fixed- we had a slippery drive out to Kirkwood for a last powder day of the seaon! And I'll feel more comfortable on an upcoming Baja trip.

So I suspect it was a combination of two problems. Old & cracked vacuum hose to the transfer case and a failing ADD motor. To recap, if your 4wd light does not go on, BUT you can put the truck into 4wd low and engage the locker and the front wheels aren't powered while on jackstands, check the ADD motor. Clear as mud, yes?

Products Discussed in

To Top