Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Binding 4x4 on pavement question

Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #21
Old Member
DanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
DanT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
As soon as you try to steer in 4WD, on dry pavement, you will know you shouldn't be in 4WD! If it is hard to do, then find an easier way!
No kidding! Although I only noticed it while parking (sharp, short terms is probably why). It was as if the emergency brake had just engaged, or I had suddenly encountered a steep wedge of ice.

Toyota makes this issue very clear in its instructional material it provides to dealers and sales reps. Why not include it in the manual? The manual doesn't even tell you the location of the oil filter or oil drain plug, so I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
scgunslinger is on a distinguished road

scgunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
This is where the twin stick Lefty transfer case will come into play. I use low range around the paved parking lot at the boat ramp to pull the boat up the ramp without burning the clutch. Problem is im stuck in 4wd low range and need to be in 2wd low range when on pavement, so as not to bind up the truck and bust gears. We always have tight turns around the boat ramp and I have to keep switching back and forth from 2wd high to 4wd low, that sucks. I bet the guy that designed this truck never pulled a boat up the ramp or drove off the pavement. They never tested the trucks transfer case in real world conditions that for sure. I guess someone that uses these trucks needs to volunteer to test them for Toyota.Some of my friends buy a 4x4 just to pull the boat in and out of the water with. 2wd low around paved parking lots and boat ramps is close to a must with a 4cly man trans. We have found out the hard way with these round knobs on the dash. Thats the first thing Im getting rid of.Two month old truck needs to be modified to do simple task.I hope yota gets the message from these forums, and hey I volunteer !
Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #23
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgunslinger View Post
This is where the twin stick Lefty transfer case will come into play. I use low range around the paved parking lot at the boat ramp to pull the boat up the ramp without burning the clutch. Problem is im stuck in 4wd low range and need to be in 2wd low range when on pavement, so as not to bind up the truck and bust gears. We always have tight turns around the boat ramp and I have to keep switching back and forth from 2wd high to 4wd low, that sucks. I bet the guy that designed this truck never pulled a boat up the ramp or drove off the pavement. They never tested the trucks transfer case in real world conditions that for sure. I guess someone that uses these trucks needs to volunteer to test them for Toyota.Some of my friends buy a 4x4 just to pull the boat in and out of the water with. 2wd low around paved parking lots and boat ramps is close to a must with a 4cly man trans. We have found out the hard way with these round knobs on the dash. Thats the first thing Im getting rid of.Two month old truck needs to be modified to do simple task.I hope yota gets the message from these forums, and hey I volunteer !
If you only (mostly) want LOW 2WD for the boat ramp, and you do that a lot... why not disconnect the ADD??? You put it in L4, but the truck only drives the rear axle.