1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Binding 4x4 on pavement question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Evil Monkey, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    scgunslinger

scgunslinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    11 taco 4x4 2.7 man trans
    bone stock
    This is where the twin stick Lefty transfer case will come into play. I use low range around the paved parking lot at the boat ramp to pull the boat up the ramp without burning the clutch. Problem is im stuck in 4wd low range and need to be in 2wd low range when on pavement, so as not to bind up the truck and bust gears. We always have tight turns around the boat ramp and I have to keep switching back and forth from 2wd high to 4wd low, that sucks. I bet the guy that designed this truck never pulled a boat up the ramp or drove off the pavement. They never tested the trucks transfer case in real world conditions that for sure. I guess someone that uses these trucks needs to volunteer to test them for Toyota.Some of my friends buy a 4x4 just to pull the boat in and out of the water with. 2wd low around paved parking lots and boat ramps is close to a must with a 4cly man trans. We have found out the hard way with these round knobs on the dash. Thats the first thing Im getting rid of.Two month old truck needs to be modified to do simple task.I hope yota gets the message from these forums, and hey I volunteer !

2. Dec 29, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    If you only (mostly) want LOW 2WD for the boat ramp, and you do that a lot... why not disconnect the ADD??? You put it in L4, but the truck only drives the rear axle.

Products Discussed in

To Top