Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Binding 4x4 on pavement question

Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Binding 4x4 on pavement question

I have a TRD Off-Road. I know you're not supposed to use 4x4 on dry pavement.

I'm just wondering why it binds? My understanding is the front is an open differential. Why would it react differently than the rear axle where the wheels turn at a different rate when in a turn?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure it's the transfer case that doesn't allow it. The mechanics of it escapes me ATM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Because you will have two wheels (one front right, one rear left IIRC) that will be spinning at the same rate.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
The bind is not left to right but front to back as I understand it. You are right- The open diff allows the drivers and passenger sides to spin at different speeds. But there is no inter-axle differential...so the tires need some latitude to slip when both the front and rear diffs are tied together.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Cool, thanks everyone. I thought it was a left-right bind issue but it's a front-back bind.

From the article:
The transfer case on a part-time four-wheel-drive system locks the front-axle driveshaft to the rear-axle driveshaft, so the wheels are forced to spin at the same speed. This requires that the tires slip when the car goes around a turn. Part-time systems like this should only be used in low -traction situations in which it is relatively easy for the tires to slip. On dry concrete, it is not easy for the tires to slip, so the four-wheel drive should be disengaged in order to avoid jerky turns and extra wear on the tires and drivetrain.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Click the link in my sig for a detailed and animated explanation. You will be tested. LOL
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Full time 4WD or AWD has a third differential that allows the front and rear driveshafts to rotate at different speeds= no binding. Off road rigs with full time systems have a differential lock-out for serious off roading where you want an even split between the front and back driveshafts... AWDs that don't have the center differential locker have unequal split of power to the front and rear.

(yes, I know it all is in that great link.. I just like typing it out )
Old 11-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
power goes 50/50 front and rear but the axles follow 2 different paths on a corner. the front axle will be out wider than the rear axle if you hold a turn and look. That is essentially 4 different diameter turns for 4 different tires. With more traction pavement allows stress builds until released......hop hop hop This getscompunded with locked diff. that wont allow left /right speed differences. Mine has 2 open diffs , the bind comes from a fron and a rear tire with the most traction ... one releases eventually.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #11
Lewman is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
Lewman's Tacoma Gallery
Just wondering if you put it in 4WD on pavement and turned or backed up and turned will it wreck anything?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewman View Post
Just wondering if you put it in 4WD on pavement and turned or backed up and turned will it wreck anything?
If you did it a little bit it probably wouldn't hurt it but it's definitely not good for it as it puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Dont turn sharp in 4wd on pavement. Switch to 2wd for that.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewman View Post
Personally I would never have the 4wd engaged on pavement (except snow or ice.) If you feel the need just be careful and make very gradual turns...
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/axle-wind-up.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Guys... 4WD is for when 2WD won't drive you any further.. at least for off the dry pavement. Since turning your truck on dry pavement does not require 4WD, that is a good indicator to not put it in 4WD. It is so difficult to turn a truck around on dirt in 4WD, I put it in 2WD when steering is difficult.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=OffroadToy;2358969]Personally I would never have the 4wd engaged on pavement (except snow or ice.) If you feel the need just be careful and make very gradual turns...
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/axle-wind-up.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html[/quote]

Very good link!:
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #18
Old Member
DanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dan
DanT's Tacoma Gallery
Clearly the Tacoma 4WD should only be engaged on slippery surfaces, not on dry pavement. What I find amazing is that Neither the 2010 manual nor the dealer tells you this. Particularly when the manual directs you to drive in H4 for 10 miles once a month to lubricate the system, they should advise that you should only do this while driving in a straight line or off road, preferably both.

The way the manual reads, you'd think it is no big deal to drive in 4WD mode whenever you feel like it.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Clearly the Tacoma 4WD should only be engaged on slippery surfaces, not on dry pavement. What I find amazing is that Neither the 2010 manual nor the dealer tells you this. Particularly when the manual directs you to drive in H4 for 10 miles once a month to lubricate the system, they should advise that you should only do this while driving in a straight line or off road, preferably both.

The way the manual reads, you'd think it is no big deal to drive in 4WD mode whenever you feel like it.
As soon as you try to steer in 4WD, on dry pavement, you will know you shouldn't be in 4WD! If it is hard to do, then find an easier way!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
My 4wd use is mostly when driving in the snow. And I LOVE the challenge of "can I make this in 2wd???" I enjoy challenging my truck and quietly beat my chest when I make it in 2wd. But if I am stopped and can no longer move forward in 2wd, I switch to 4wd and usually ease right through it (or up it).

The problem is when you are tracking on something that requires 4wd and forget to switch back to 2wd when you reach pavement. Of course you will know it when you try to turn but...its not good for the drivetrain.