1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Binding 4x4 on pavement question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Evil Monkey, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey [OP] There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have a TRD Off-Road. I know you're not supposed to use 4x4 on dry pavement.

I'm just wondering why it binds? My understanding is the front is an open differential. Why would it react differently than the rear axle where the wheels turn at a different rate when in a turn?

2. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    I'm pretty sure it's the transfer case that doesn't allow it. The mechanics of it escapes me ATM.

3. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Because you will have two wheels (one front right, one rear left IIRC) that will be spinning at the same rate.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  5. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The bind is not left to right but front to back as I understand it. You are right- The open diff allows the drivers and passenger sides to spin at different speeds. But there is no inter-axle differential...so the tires need some latitude to slip when both the front and rear diffs are tied together.

6. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Cool, thanks everyone. I thought it was a left-right bind issue but it's a front-back bind.

From the article:
    The transfer case on a part-time four-wheel-drive system locks the front-axle driveshaft to the rear-axle driveshaft, so the wheels are forced to spin at the same speed. This requires that the tires slip when the car goes around a turn. Part-time systems like this should only be used in low -traction situations in which it is relatively easy for the tires to slip. On dry concrete, it is not easy for the tires to slip, so the four-wheel drive should be disengaged in order to avoid jerky turns and extra wear on the tires and drivetrain.

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Full time 4WD or AWD has a third differential that allows the front and rear driveshafts to rotate at different speeds= no binding. Off road rigs with full time systems have a differential lock-out for serious off roading where you want an even split between the front and back driveshafts... AWDs that don't have the center differential locker have unequal split of power to the front and rear.

(yes, I know it all is in that great link.. I just like typing it out ;) )

8. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    power goes 50/50 front and rear but the axles follow 2 different paths on a corner. the front axle will be out wider than the rear axle if you hold a turn and look. That is essentially 4 different diameter turns for 4 different tires. With more traction pavement allows stress builds until released......hop hop hop This getscompunded with locked diff. that wont allow left /right speed differences. Mine has 2 open diffs , the bind comes from a fron and a rear tire with the most traction ... one releases eventually.

9. Nov 5, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You must also understand...

When you make turns while in 4WD, the CV JOINTS bind up.

10. Nov 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Lewman

Lewman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Saint John, NB
    Tonneau Cover, Trail FX ss Bullbar, Grillcraft Custom Grill, K&N filter, Leather Interior,
    Just wondering if you put it in 4WD on pavement and turned or backed up and turned will it wreck anything?

11. Nov 6, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
  12. Nov 6, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    If you did it a little bit it probably wouldn't hurt it but it's definitely not good for it as it puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain.

13. Nov 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dont turn sharp in 4wd on pavement. Switch to 2wd for that.

14. Nov 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  15. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Guys... 4WD is for when 2WD won't drive you any further.. at least for off the dry pavement. Since turning your truck on dry pavement does not require 4WD, that is a good indicator to not put it in 4WD. It is so difficult to turn a truck around on dirt in 4WD, I put it in 2WD when steering is difficult.

16. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
  17. Dec 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    DanT

DanT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richland, WA
    Vehicle:
    4WD 2.7L SR5
    Clearly the Tacoma 4WD should only be engaged on slippery surfaces, not on dry pavement. What I find amazing is that Neither the 2010 manual nor the dealer tells you this. Particularly when the manual directs you to drive in H4 for 10 miles once a month to lubricate the system, they should advise that you should only do this while driving in a straight line or off road, preferably both.

The way the manual reads, you'd think it is no big deal to drive in 4WD mode whenever you feel like it.

18. Dec 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    As soon as you try to steer in 4WD, on dry pavement, you will know you shouldn't be in 4WD! If it is hard to do, then find an easier way!

19. Dec 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    My 4wd use is mostly when driving in the snow. And I LOVE the challenge of "can I make this in 2wd???" I enjoy challenging my truck and quietly beat my chest when I make it in 2wd. But if I am stopped and can no longer move forward in 2wd, I switch to 4wd and usually ease right through it (or up it).

The problem is when you are tracking on something that requires 4wd and forget to switch back to 2wd when you reach pavement. Of course you will know it when you try to turn but...its not good for the drivetrain.

20. Dec 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    DanT

DanT Old Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Richland, WA
    Vehicle:
    4WD 2.7L SR5
    No kidding! Although I only noticed it while parking (sharp, short terms is probably why). It was as if the emergency brake had just engaged, or I had suddenly encountered a steep wedge of ice.

Toyota makes this issue very clear in its instructional material it provides to dealers and sales reps. Why not include it in the manual? The manual doesn't even tell you the location of the oil filter or oil drain plug, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Products Discussed in

To Top