Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Stiff Steering

Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #21
bryen is on a distinguished road
bryen's Tacoma Gallery
I actually figured it out and apparently I fell short of spraying the snot out of it with PB Blaster. However for round two I'm going to get some white lithium grease on there too.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
FgReed is on a distinguished road
FgReed's Tacoma Gallery
Having the same stiffness with mine. Just started last week. When you're driving straight and go to turn either way a bit it wants to sort of stick. Checked fluid. Its full and very clean looking.
Was thinking I'd try this fix here. Do I need to jack the truck up to get to the u-joint or is it accessible from through the hood
Forgot to mention mine is a 09 SR5 TRD

Thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #23
coveylane is on a distinguished road

Name: Coveylane
coveylane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FgReed View Post
Having the same stiffness with mine. Just started last week. When you're driving straight and go to turn either way a bit it wants to sort of stick. Checked fluid. Its full and very clean looking.
Was thinking I'd try this fix here. Do I need to jack the truck up to get to the u-joint or is it accessible from through the hood
Forgot to mention mine is a 09 SR5 TRD

Thanks
You can see it past front driver's side wheel, or crawl under driver's door and it is visible to get at to spray. I have new part on order from VillageToyotaParts for $167 plus tax. (Toyota Canada wants $382 for part before tax)
Attached Thumbnails
Stiff Steering-2aa.jpg   Stiff Steering-453972f.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #24

Finally got my Intermediate Shaft #2 replaced to remedy the stiff steering.
Toyota Canada wanted $382 + $37.30 Tax for the part alone. I ordered it online from a dealer in Florida who sent it to a shipping address in Florida, they shipped it to us and then Canada Customs got their bite out of me and I stll saved $150 on the part. (It is a genuine Toyota part) And I had a local garage replace it at a cost of about $85
I supplied pictures of the one that was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Stiff Steering-dscf5307aa.jpg   Stiff Steering-dscf5308aa.jpg   Stiff Steering-dscf5312a.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #25

Since I have had this Intermediate Shaft #2 replaced I have noticed some play or looseness in steering when driving over rough roads. (Not side to side looseness but there is a rattle there now). I have seen this rattle disussed on here in another thread.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
The rattle you're discussing covers the other portion of the intermediate steering shaft, not the portion you replaced. A revised version was produced by toyota (Costs about 180.00 USD if you do it yourself) or you can do the zip tie fix.
Where do I find instructions for the Zip Tie Fix?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post

Thanks. It looks simple enough. And enough people seem to like it so worth a try.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #28
Kevindust is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
Kevindust's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for this great thread (and the other similar threads)! I've been driving my truck with what felt like no power steering for a few weeks and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem without having to swap a lot of parts or pay a dealer big dollars. Five minutes on tacomaworld using the search function, five minutes under the truck with a rust inhibitor, test drive, more rust inhibitor and my truck is steering like normal! I now know that the proper long term solution is to change the intermediate steering shaft #2. Thanks again!!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindust View Post
Thank you for this great thread (and the other similar threads)! I've been driving my truck with what felt like no power steering for a few weeks and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to diagnose the problem without having to swap a lot of parts or pay a dealer big dollars. Five minutes on tacomaworld using the search function, five minutes under the truck with a rust inhibitor, test drive, more rust inhibitor and my truck is steering like normal! I now know that the proper long term solution is to change the intermediate steering shaft #2. Thanks again!!
Just remember when you do buy, if you can get it out of the USA, you will pay enough less that it will probably cover the installation too. I paid $150 less than Canadian price and I think it cost me about $80 to have it installed at a garage.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #30
n1dp is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired USCG
n1dp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevindust View Post
I thought the symptoms would lead to heavy front end work involving the 4wd system. As Kevindust said so well, this forum saved me a bunch of troubleshooting. Unlike the photos above, my joint looks rust free. I gave it a good blast with a cleaner and she steers free again.

I have felt a tiny feel in the steering since I got it that I thought was just the 4wd drive train. Could have been this joint all along. I'll be following the advice here and change out the part ASAP.

Thanks!