Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Upgradeing my rear diff.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Upgradeing my rear diff.

I bought the standard PreRunner SR5 and am wanting to upgrade to like a locking or lsd or something. i am wondering what my options are. Is this something i can buy from toyota or aftermarket? any tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Do you off road or mostly drive on street? Whats your budget?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
i am mainly on street but when ever i do miss my exits i have no problem taking the scenic route lol. mainly on street though. probably about 400 bucks. if more though i would save for it
Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
i am mainly on street but when ever i do miss my exits i have no problem taking the scenic route lol. mainly on street though. probably about 400 bucks. if more though i would save for it
Sounds like a limited slip differential would be your best bet. Not sure on aftermarket pricing but they are offered as a factory option.

Anybody seen late-model Tacomas in the junkyards yet? I'd think that enough have been wrecked at this point that it might be worth looking. It's a good option for keeping costs low while still getting the factory quality.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
i actually just found one yesterday here is the link if you want to check it. suck thing is it is in california probably be alot to ship a rear end to texas for me.
http://www.alltoyotatrucksuvparts.com/
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
so if i was to find a junkyard in texas that had one. what would i want to get? would i take the whole axle? or just parts out of the diff?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
so if i was to find a junkyard in texas that had one. what would i want to get? would i take the whole axle? or just parts out of the diff?
The rear axles have a drop-in third member. I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe they're interchangeable between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder axle housings. Providing the gear ratio matches your existing setup, if you find an axle with limited slip you *should* be able to pull the third member, drop it into your axle, add the right gear oil with the LSD additive, and be back on the road.

Definitely confirm with another source before moving ahead but that's the approach I'd take.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
tossed salad anyone?

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
thanks