1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slight Overheating Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by steve o 77, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 [OP] braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    So this all started last sunday when I was driving back down to school. Before getting on the freeway there is about 10 miles of nice easy 35 - 40mph driving with very few stop lights. Well about 1 mile before the on ramp I looked down at the scangauge and it read 200* while it normally never strays from 191*-193*. I kinda freaked out and pulled off at a gas station. I checked coolant level in the overflow and it was fine (I'm running GM red antifreeze and have been for about 10k miles w/out problems).

Well I continued on and when I got on the freeway the temp slowly went back down to 193 and stayed there for the whole remaining 70 miles. This makes me think the radiator is fine. I don't really know how to check the fan clutch but it spins with a little resistance with the engine off so I think thats good.

It also did the exact same thing yesterday on the same trip.

What do you guys think the problem could be? Im stumped here.

2. Nov 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I'd wash the radiator and condenser fins, a 7 degree increase doesn't sound like a fan problem to me. Wash both the coils really good and see what color water you get out them. If it's real black or brown, you probably just had a dirt-insulated coil which would bring the temperature up pretty good. Check that first and then proceed from there.

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 [OP] braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I was thinking the same thing. Ill try that next weekend and see what happens.

Man I hope not, this is the hardest thermostat to get to I have ever seen. It was replaced about 10k miles ago though along with the water pump and timing belt.

Products Discussed in

To Top