Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmadej87 View Post
crap, i usually just go with whatever oil filter is offered on sale at autozone, sometimes mobil 1, sometimes fram...didnt think there was much difference....i do now! maybe ill make a run down to toyota and buy a years worth of filters, its a pain in the ass driving there..

cant wait to see the mobil1/k&n compare
You can order the Toyota filters online. As you can see, there is no difference between the ones made in Japan, vs. the ones made in Thialand.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #22
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
crap, i usually just go with whatever oil filter is offered on sale at autozone, sometimes mobil 1, sometimes fram...didnt think there was much difference....i do now! maybe ill make a run down to toyota and buy a years worth of filters, its a pain in the ass driving there..

cant wait to see the mobil1/k&n compare
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can order the Toyota filters online. As you can see, there is no difference between the ones made in Japan, vs. the ones made in Thialand.
X2. I ordered a half a dozen off of ebay for a very nice price a couple years ago. Its nice to have a year or twos worth!! I'm sure you can still find a bunch off ebay.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
Clever white boy.
wired_af is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
wired_af's Tacoma Gallery
I also like how the Toyota filter uses a REAL o-ring seal...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
im using the Fram Extended Guard on my ride.. any word on those?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
What about Purolator One filters?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #26
Sproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud of
Sproulesxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Wow great comparison. Looks like I'll never use the Fram ones again. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #27
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Note:

As soon as I get the chance, Im going to compare the K&N, and Mobil 1 filters.
Nice video....Will you review the k&n and Mobil1 filter on this thread or make a new one?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #28
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for that info and good vid.. It's always good to see what is really inside things. OEM tends to be the best for any vehicle, they pay many engineers big bucks to make sure there stuff is going to do the job and then some. A lot of people do not change there oil very often and Toyota want's there filter to holdup to that.

If you need the Mobil1 and K&N I'd be willing to pony up the cost of the filters to let you destroy them. Seems you have a good cutting tool to get them open.

PM me

Paul
Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #29
ImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud ofImthePrez has much to be proud of
ImthePrez's Tacoma Gallery
Been using fram...going to toyota
Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #30
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
Name: Mike
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
X2. I ordered a half a dozen off of ebay for a very nice price a couple years ago. Its nice to have a year or twos worth!! I'm sure you can still find a bunch off ebay.
awesome! thanks for the tips!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #31
Shiester
BCH is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
BCH's Tacoma Gallery
I won't say that wix is better than the Toyota filter but one of the guys in my home town ran a part store for about 25 years and he drove a nissan pickup and always used wix filters. Last time I asked him about the truck it had 367,000 miles on it and never once had it been torn down for repair. It sounded mighty quiet when he was running the engine too and that sold me. They are about $7.00 but he says thats all he has ever used.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #32
detnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the sheddetnight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
detnight's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Fram tough guard PH3600 filter it is taller than the toyota filter. Go to Walmart and compare the filters. The 3600 is 4.92 inch and the 3614 is 3.34 inch
Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #33
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
I use the Fram tough guard PH3600 filter it is taller than the toyota filter. And if you use the Xtended Guard it is even taller. Go to Walmart and compare the filters.
not sure of the effects of using a different filter than what is recommended for use in our vehicles, but im sure this comparison was to compare the quality and filtering media behind each of the filters, im sure with those "taller" fram filters, its all the same crap inside...same coffee filter paper looking material
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #34
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery

Good post!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #35
Mayday

chris, in the picture in your op..the toyota filter you have there is for the 4.0L correct?

(just so i know im looking at the right p/n)

thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #36
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you Chris for the education I was CRACKIN up when you were throwin the filter parts around in disgust All I ever use since new are Toyota parts. ALL their stuff is superior and reasonably priced. Not thrilled with their replacement mufflers or batteries though.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #37
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired_af View Post
I also like how the Toyota filter uses a REAL o-ring seal...
Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
im using the Fram Extended Guard on my ride.. any word on those?
The Extended Gaurd is pretty much the same as the ones I listed. I didnt have the cash to buy every one and take them apart, so I chose the 2 most popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
What about Purolator One filters?
They are a good filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Truck View Post
Nice video....Will you review the k&n and Mobil1 filter on this thread or make a new one?
I will compare them, and add it to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detnight View Post
I use the Fram tough guard PH3600 filter it is taller than the toyota filter. Go to Walmart and compare the filters. The 3600 is 4.92 inch and the 3614 is 3.34 inch
Its larger, but still the same crap filtering media, and cheap construction

Quote:
chris, in the picture in your op..the toyota filter you have there is for the 4.0L correct?

(just so i know im looking at the right p/n)

thanks!
Its for the 3.4 or 4.0. They both use the same filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Thank you Chris for the education I was CRACKIN up when you were throwin the filter parts around in disgust All I ever use since new are Toyota parts. ALL their stuff is superior and reasonably priced. Not thrilled with their replacement mufflers or batteries though.
Thanks frank!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #38
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

Great thread that you started chris4x4.

I have used both the Toyota TRD & K&N oil filters ... and those two filters look the same.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #39
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
thank for the post man. I had been using fram for a while when I had my ranger. My truck still gets free oil changes at toyota til 2011, but I know now to use the OEM filter.

I ran into an aftermark/oem issue the other month. I replaced the OEM wiper blades with some generic good year blades and the squeaked across my windshield all the time. I decided to get the toyota OEM blades and they sound perfect. I guess aftermarket isn't always the best option
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #40
rdrnr is on a distinguished road

rdrnr's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the great post Chris. Makes me feel better using Toyota filters as I tend to stick with the Mfg parts while the vehicle is under warranty, less chance for debate if a problem surfaces.

Products Discussed in this Thread