Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #541
Toyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud of
Toyoland66's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Even with a bypass filtration system and 25k OCI, Amsoil recommends filter replacement of both the primary and bypass filter at 10k.
The filter listed for the tacoma (ea15k51) is rated for 15k/ 1 year. Where are you getting that number?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #542
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoland66 View Post
The filter listed for the tacoma (ea15k51) is rated for 15k/ 1 year. Where are you getting that number?
I was an Amsoil dealer in 2005-2007 during the early years of the EAO filter.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #543
BioWheelin is on a distinguished road

BioWheelin's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder what filter is in my Taco right now... lol, yet another reason I need quality time with her to learn all the ins and outs. If it's anything other than the Toyota filter I'll be switching to that from now on! Great info.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #544
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
Merely looking at a filter only gives part of the story. The quality testing results from testing done at actual labs is probably better for making an educated decision on what's what.

Personally, I just use factory oil filters with for whatever vehicle I own, because those generally have ended up being the better ones for your vehicle. Not to mention the filter size, media, and so forth has been taken into consideration with the recommended change intervals for that engine. Has been the case with every brand almost. Toyota guys say to buy Toyota filters. Subaru guys say to buy the Subaru filters, and Honda for Honda, and so forth. And on every forum there's that one guy who takes apart all the filters to show everyone the "quality" differences.

Honestly...if any of the filters were dangerous to your vehicle on the whole, they wouldn't pass the testing and wouldn't be sold. People wouldn't be buying them and cars wouldn't be lasting 100k and beyond with them.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #545
rscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enough
rscecil007's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this Chris, I was using M1 filters until I came across this.

Quick question I didn't find an answer to in a quick search. I use Mobil 1 oil, and change my oil and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles.

I feel the oil is fine for 5k, but is the filter? Should I change the filter at a closer interval, say 2.5k? Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #546
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
Thanks for this Chris, I was using M1 filters until I came across this.

Quick question I didn't find an answer to in a quick search. I use Mobil 1 oil, and change my oil and rotate my tires every 5,000 miles.

I feel the oil is fine for 5k, but is the filter? Should I change the filter at a closer interval, say 2.5k? Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
The filter is fine for a 5k interval.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #547
rscecil007 will become famous soon enoughrscecil007 will become famous soon enough
rscecil007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The filter is fine for a 5k interval.
Great, thanks Chris!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #548
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a link for the cheapest place to get these filters?
One of TW vendors (camelback toyota) has a great price (with shipping about $4.70 a piece), but when you go to check out they add a $3 handling charge.
Im not going to get hit at the final point of sale with an additional $3. Thx
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #549
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
Anyone have a link for the cheapest place to get these filters?
One of TW vendors (camelback toyota) has a great price (with shipping about $4.70 a piece), but when you go to check out they add a $3 handling charge.
Im not going to get hit at the final point of sale with an additional $3. Thx
There's an eBay vendor that charges $40 for a box of 10 shipped.
Titus-Will is $88 shipped for 20 filters. The more you buy, the less the shipping and handling charges impact the cost.

If you only want to buy one or two, your local dealership is going to be the most economical. If he tells you that it's $5 or $6, remind him that you can get them online for just under $4, but you prefer to give him your business.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #550
Aerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdAerial Tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Flight Mechanic
Name: Andre
Aerial Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up! browsed through the posts.. but not all, did you happen to compare the stock toyota vs the TRD filter? i just bought one so i am wondering after seeing this.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial Tacoma View Post
nice write up! browsed through the posts.. but not all, did you happen to compare the stock toyota vs the TRD filter? i just bought one so i am wondering after seeing this.
TRD filter is identical to the K&N/Mobil-1 filter.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #552
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Had a good laugh at Napa the other day. The same Napa Gold 1348 for my 2.7 fits my Sears Craftsman 20 hp riding lawn mower. Ohh,, the sinhumanity!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #553
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
I wish the K&N did better, but oh well. The nut makes it easy as hell to take off. I will switch back to OEM filters when I run out of the K&Ns, but the last time I removed the OEM oil filter it was a PITA and the threads got striped from the filter remover. Took forever to get the damn thing off.
im tired of reading, been at work for 18 hours. a great trick i use for stubborn filters is i take a phillips screwdriver and punch it through the filter.. now you have a nice craftsman or snapon or mac or walmart stanley handle to turn even the tightest filter off

i have always used the OEM filter, my gramps always said to and i figured it made sense. thanks for the OP and all the work

i have another idea, get a bilge pump and fab up a tank with a filter mount and in a controlled environment test flow over a set time with some cheapo oil and play sand you can measure how much it actually holds before it gives up the ghost. I would be glad to do it but i cant afford a shit ton of filters.

if someone had an extra engine stand i have a 22r block i can pull the rods and pistons out of and throw a compressor motor from an air compresser hanging out in my back yard (if it still works) on it to drive the crank and oil pump.. fill it up with 4 qaurts of oil install said filter add some sample dirt with some sort of measuring device over a period of time and find out when it stops pumping cleaned oil..

i think it sounds pretty straight forward let me know what you guys think.

i ran the k&n filter on my civic engines

i ran the wix on my supercharged corolla once (ex wife drove it 500 miles) when it got home it was low on oil by 2 qaurts and knocking. it sat for about 6 months while i was in iraq and she was supposed to check the oil before the trip, i ran amsoil at the time and the wix was the "best" filter the parts store had while i was home, toyota was closed. im sure it was low to start with, and since i had to tear the engine open anyway i turned off the bypass and ran 11 psi untill she popped went a long way actually. im not blaming the filter, i blame the ex.

i have worked on many, many old toyotas and the worst shape ones always had stp and fram filters. just throwing it out there.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 AM   #554
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
There's an eBay vendor that charges $40 for a box of 10 shipped.
Titus-Will is $88 shipped for 20 filters. The more you buy, the less the shipping and handling charges impact the cost.

If you only want to buy one or two, your local dealership is going to be the most economical. If he tells you that it's $5 or $6, remind him that you can get them online for just under $4, but you prefer to give him your business.
i used to buy my 22r filters with a discount back home for about $4

the dealer sold out, they jacked the prices.. last time i was in they wanted 8.99..... i dug around untill i found a new one in the garage and im going to order them offline
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #555
rande15 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: ray
rande15's Tacoma Gallery
What if u can get 90915 20004 filters? Use them? Better??
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #556
"We have assumed control"
beachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeachingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matti
beachingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up! Lots of good info in there!....I have a friend who own's a truck dealership and has been a top mechanic for probably 25 years. A while back I bought a new maxima which I asked him which filter I should use for oil changes and he said go with the stock filter. So that's what I've done and have had no problems, and from what you found out it looks like the stock one is the best.....
Old 09-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rande15 View Post
What if u can get 90915 20004 filters? Use them? Better??
Not IMHO.
They are a completely different design, and there has been a lot of speculation that they were designed only for the break-in period.
One tech claimed that they did not have a bypass valve.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #558
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
There's a bypass valve:

The bypass valve's spring is the 4-prong piece in this photo (leftmost filter):

Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #559
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Wow nice job!!! Thanks!! I will stick with the factory filters!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #560
888 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
888's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried the Purolator PureOne PL20195 (believe its a longer version of the PL10241)

Products Discussed in this Thread