Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #561
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Has anyone tried the Purolator PureOne PL20195 (believe its a longer version of the PL10241)
PureOne is a decent filter.
It's not better than OEM, and it costs twice as much.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #562
BBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
BBlank12's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone used a John Deere Filter? part no. is TY15592E and is $3.89
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #563
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlank12 View Post
Has anyone used a John Deere Filter? part no. is TY15592E and is $3.89
Why?

Stock is not much more, readily available, and you know it's a quality filter, not one made for a piece of farm equipment.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #564
BBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
BBlank12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Why?

Stock is not much more, readily available, and you know it's a quality filter, not one made for a piece of farm equipment.
1. I work at John Deere. So they are available all the time and I get a discount on the filter.
2. John Deere is farm equipment that has been testing filters for many years. I was just curious if anyone has used one if not I will get it a try. In all honesty I would trust a filter from them since they kind of need good filters to keep their machines running
Old 10-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #565
TripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripleThreat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
Location: Socal but I am still a Southern Florida guy at heart
TripleThreat's Tacoma Gallery
Post Nice Review Chris4x4

Howdy Chris I have been running royal purple 5w-30 since I got my truck but I have used the "TRD oil filter" can you do a review on that to tell whether I wasted my money on the TRD oil filter before I buy number 4?
I just did my oil change last week heres a pic of the oil attached to my post.

Also I agree with Huckyourmeat lets see a TRD vs OEM toyota filter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckyourmeat View Post
Thanks for the objective reviews, Chris. I'd love to see a TRD filter thrown into the mix to see if it's really that much better than the standard OEM. I know that might be a little cost prohibitive, though, at $12.

Looking forward to your other cutaways on filters spec'd for our trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........-2013-09-26_16-52-19_103.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #566
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Howdy Chris I have been running royal purple 5w-30 since I got my truck but I have used the "TRD oil filter" can you do a review on that to tell whether I wasted my money on the TRD oil filter before I buy number 4?
I just did my oil change last week heres a pic of the oil attached to my post.

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a terd filter. If you want to send me one pM me for my address
Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #567
Red Rocket is on a distinguished road
Marines: Retired
Red Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Nice post !! I use the Toyota. I would not put a FRAM on anything I own...
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #568
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PureOne is a decent filter.
It's not better than OEM, and it costs twice as much.
Not True...it can be had for $5.74 from Amazon, and Purolator routinely offers rebates on the PureOne filter ($2 off)

As for the PureOne filter, I would argue that filter is made of better materials (Silicone Bypass Valve) as opposed ot the Nitrile one on the Toyota filter. Also the Purolator is made in the USA, where the Toyota filter is made in Thailand. At the end of the day both ar good filters and do what their supposed to
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a terd filter. If you want to send me one pM me for my address
TRD is the same as the M1/K&N
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Not True...it can be had for $5.74 from Amazon, and Purolator routinely offers rebates on the PureOne filter ($2 off)
OEM is $4 in quantity, so unless you buy Amazon Prime, add the shipping to that $5.74
Quote:
As for the PureOne filter, I would argue that filter is made of better materials (Silicone Bypass Valve) as opposed ot the Nitrile one on the Toyota filter. Also the Purolator is made in the USA, where the Toyota filter is made in Thailand. At the end of the day both ar good filters and do what their supposed to
The Toyota gasket is an o-ring and is captive... no chance of it sticking to the mount and being overlooked. It would be tough to argue that the Purolator media is better. It's good, but without an independent test of the efficiency....
There have also been some concerns raised that there is too much media, making the element too restrictive.
Don't get me wrong, it is a good filter, and when M1 had their last price hike I went to the PureOne until I found out how reasonably priced the OEM filters are.

As far as "Made in USA", keep in mind that Bosch severed ties with Champion labs the same time they went to the "Worse than Fram" E-Core design (the M1 and K&N are still Champion premium filters).
Bosch purchased Purolator and kept the production line.
The Purolator name is now a business unit under Mann-Hummel....
Tennessee and Indiana? Maybe some products, but they are primarily in China and Europe.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #570
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
TRD is the same as the M1/K&N

OEM is $4 in quantity, so unless you buy Amazon Prime, add the shipping to that $5.74

The Toyota gasket is an o-ring and is captive... no chance of it sticking to the mount and being overlooked. It would be tough to argue that the Purolator media is better. It's good, but without an independent test of the efficiency....
There have also been some concerns raised that there is too much media, making the element too restrictive.
Don't get me wrong, it is a good filter, and when M1 had their last price hike I went to the PureOne until I found out how reasonably priced the OEM filters are.

As far as "Made in USA", keep in mind that Bosch severed ties with Champion labs the same time they went to the "Worse than Fram" E-Core design (the M1 and K&N are still Champion premium filters).
Bosch purchased Purolator and kept the production line.
The Purolator name is now a business unit under Mann-Hummel....
Tennessee and Indiana? Maybe some products, but they are primarily in China and Europe
Again, not true in my instance. My Dealer charges $6.00 for the OEM filter with a 10% military discount. Unless I'm buying 10 filters on E-Bay, that's the only way I can get an OEM filter for $4, which I'm not fond of keeping 10 filters around as that's 5 years of oil changes and I doubt I'll have the truck that long. As for $5.74 from Amazon...easy peasy, I buy off Amazon enough than when it comes close to oil change time, I drop a filter or 2 onto an order and it's normally over $25 getting me free shipping, you just have to plan no different as if you were going to the parts store to buy a filter

The PureOne filter is made in the USA, don't confue the standard Purolator white can with the PureOne Yellow can. THe White can is made somewhere other than the US...China, Mexico...etc, but the Yellow Can is still made in the US.

As isaid earlier both the Toyota OEM and PureOne filter are very good filters, but I would argue saying the Toyota filter is better. Something of note, Toyota contracts their filter manufacturer to Denso, who subcontracts the filter to Full a company out in Thailand.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #571
888 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
888's Tacoma Gallery
needs to be over $35 now for free shipping (on amazon)
OEM filters are more expensive than the PureONE filters from amazon in my case, cause the only one thats available from my dealership is the OEM DENSO filter
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
needs to be over $35 now for free shipping (on amazon)
OEM filters are more expensive than the PureONE filters from amazon in my case, cause the only one thats available from my dealership is the OEM DENSO filter
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Quote:
There's an eBay vendor that charges $40 for a box of 10 shipped.
Titus-Will is $88 shipped for 20 filters. The more you buy, the less the shipping and handling charges impact the cost.

If you only want to buy one or two, your local dealership is going to be the most economical. If he tells you that it's $5 or $6, remind him that you can get them online for just under $4, but you prefer to give him your business.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #573
cjcold is on a distinguished road
cjcold's Tacoma Gallery
I was told by a few different Toyota parts guys and mechanics when I bought my 1999 Tacoma new that the Toyota filter was at least as good as any aftermarket filter on the market, so I've been buying them by the case since then. The same filter fits my new 2013 even though the engine has changed which is good because I still have half a case. Thanks for the article which pretty much validates my 15 year old decision to go with the toy filters.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #574
Sailing the Seven Seas
Tango Bravo is on a distinguished road

Name: Thomas
Tango Bravo's Tacoma Gallery
Great writeup. Awesome to know somoene is doing a little work to find the truth behind advertising.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #575
Dog Face Soldier
Nicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant future

Army: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Name: Nick
Nicky Lam's Tacoma Gallery
just picked up a case of 10 oem toyota filters from the dealership located in flemington NJ for 39.80, or.. $3.98 each! almost a steal! plus tax, it was 42 and some change.

i called and asked how much they were and he said 5.50 each,
then i asked if i bought in bulk would there be any type of discount. he said yeah i could probably hook you up, so i went. come to find out he is prior service air force, and some how he saw my military id in my wallet, and that started a whole new conversation, after some bs'in, he said take this to the cashier/receptionist and pay, i look at the receipt and it said 39.80 for 10 filters!

im good for the next 50k+ miles
Old 01-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #576
davem311 is a splendid one to beholddavem311 is a splendid one to beholddavem311 is a splendid one to beholddavem311 is a splendid one to beholddavem311 is a splendid one to beholddavem311 is a splendid one to beholddavem311 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 13F Forward Observer
Name: Dave
davem311's Tacoma Gallery
Seems Mobil 1 and K&N are obviously just stamped to look different. I have heard this rumor as well with some if not all of TRD parts.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #577
Fltac0 is on a distinguished road

Army: soldier
Name: Jay
Fltac0's Tacoma Gallery
went to the dealership today and got 2 filters after readin your test. #1 the filter looks shorter than the one in your pic. i asked her and she double checked and said it was the right one for my truck. it says 90915-YZZG1. not the same as the one you tested. and #2.. filter says MADE IN USA??!! what gives? i have an 04 prerunner xtra cab
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #578

These are all compatible:
08922-02001, 08922-02002, 15600-25010, 15600-41010, 15601-44011, 90915-02004, 90915-03002, 90915-03005, 90915-20001, 90915-20002, 90915-20003, 90915-20004, 90915-YZZB5, 90915-YZZB9, 90915-YZZD1, 90915-YZZD3, 90915-YZZG1

The shorter filters are generally used on the 4-cylinder engines.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #579
Fltac0 is on a distinguished road

Army: soldier
Name: Jay
Fltac0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These are all compatible:
08922-02001, 08922-02002, 15600-25010, 15600-41010, 15601-44011, 90915-02004, 90915-03002, 90915-03005, 90915-20001, 90915-20002, 90915-20003, 90915-20004, 90915-YZZB5, 90915-YZZB9, 90915-YZZD1, 90915-YZZD3, 90915-YZZG1

The shorter filters are generally used on the 4-cylinder engines.

i have the v6.. should i take em back?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltac0 View Post
i have the v6.. should i take em back?
I'd go ahead and use it, but next time, specify the YZZD3.

Products Discussed in this Thread