Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Tripletpkc is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
Tripletpkc's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome write up Chris!!! Thank you. Check out the link below from a differnt forum on Oil Filters - Dissected. I think this guy did a comare on ALL the major oil filters..very interesting
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html
Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #43
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
A while back when I bought my truck, I made the mistake of mentioning the F-word ( fram) boy did i get flamed... I now use Toyota, or Bosch filters if I cant get to the dealer. i use Mobil 5000 oil.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #44
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
I like using the K&N on my truck.. Mainly because it has the 1" nut on the end. makes it easy to take the filter on and off..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletpkc View Post
Awsome write up Chris!!! Thank you. Check out the link below from a differnt forum on Oil Filters - Dissected. I think this guy did a comare on ALL the major oil filters..very interesting
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/gen...dissected.html
yeah, but they vary per engine they are made for it seems. Thats why I decided to do this one. Kinda get an "Apples to Apples" comparo.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #46
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I will be needing to see proof of your qualifications do perform this comparison.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #48
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
I will be needing to see proof of your qualifications do perform this comparison.
I.....I......
*running away*
Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #49
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I.....I......
*running away*
I thought as much.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #50
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

Over the years, two Toyota dealers have sold me on the higher price TRD filter with their TRD cut-away samples.

And K&N filters look the same as TRDs too ... and I like the welded nut on top.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #51
KCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Retired
Name: Keith
KCin HBCA's Tacoma Gallery
I used Fram on my 98 for the entire 183k miles I drove it and never had any problems and it ran better than new when I sold it. Not saying they are ok, but faithfully changing the oil and filter every 5k probably helped.

I just bought a box of 10 Toyota filters from Dahl Toyota (ebay) for $37 shipped. I will be using Toyota filters on my 2009...

Thanks for the great info Chris!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #52
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
just a knowledge check,but what year was the spin-on oil filter introduced?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
just a knowledge check,but what year was the spin-on oil filter introduced?
I cant remember exactly, but it was in the 1950's...
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #55
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I cant remember exactly, but it was in the 1950's...
vous êtes monsieur correct
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #56
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Nice vid. Chris...Confirms what many have been saying about the factory filter(and Fram's) here for the last couple of years. I'm even more satisfied that only the OEM filter has gone on my truck since day one now.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #58
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of
Peru's Tacoma Gallery
Why is everyone so hung up on the nut on the top of the kn oil filter. I always hand tighten never had any problems same goes with removal.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #59
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm i've used the Frams a couple times. Guess I should stay away from those for now on.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 AM   #60
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Chris you should also add a Purolator Pure 1 filter into the k&n vs Mobil 1

Products Discussed in this Thread