Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Toyota Oil Filter (Made in Thailand) vs. the competition........

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #601
jahjah is on a distinguished road
jahjah's Tacoma Gallery
Fram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT View Post
I work as a tractor and grounds equipment mechanic. I have now for 31 years, at the local school board. We only use Fram oil filters. I have never seen an oil filter related damaged engine in all of this time. However, because of this write up, I'll never again use one on my personal vehicles. Thanks.
Fram advertising has been very effective. Unfortunately, their filter aren't.
I have seen several that were assembled so hastily that the ends of the filter element was not attached.
Now they have designer filters to create a "premium purchasing experience" by getting people to think that a high mileage or synthetic oil engine needs a different filter.
Fram banks on the fact that oil contaminants slowly wear out engines in a manner that is essentially impossible to quantify on a small sample basis. How many engines that Fram wears out early equals the loss of a complete power unit?
Basically, it comes down to the fact that frequent oil changes are a better deterrent to wear than the best filters because the change removes abrasive contaminants and corrosive chemical from the engine.
If your school board is going to support a filter, why not support one that costs the same but filters well?
Some filter brands are being made in China now, including Fram. It is nearly impossible to maintain a quality control program in a Chinese factory.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #602
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedZEROPILOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
It's all about specs an low bids....We also use HORRIBLE Champion spark plugs and no-name no-sevice rated motor oil in 15w40. We had a vendor selling us batteries...I noticed and pointed out that a batch of them were actually "rebuilt" lead acid batteries and not new, sealed gel batteries like we needed and had paid for....They complained that we were picking on them because they are a "minority" vendor, I guess black owned, like it matters, and won the case. They still slip in a clearly used battery every now and then and many arrive dead and with internal shorting issues. This is my situation.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #603
MrDFixIt is on a distinguished road
Name: Dick
MrDFixIt's Tacoma Gallery
EXCELLENT Write-Up and Comparison!

This is an EXCELLENT thread and write-up on the topic.

I am fairly certain that if you open the Wix "XP" variety of the 51348 you will find that it is identical to the Amsoil brand filter with the synthetic media.

Again, GREAT job on this!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #604
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDFixIt View Post
This is an EXCELLENT thread and write-up on the topic.

I am fairly certain that if you open the Wix "XP" variety of the 51348 you will find that it is identical to the Amsoil brand filter with the synthetic media.

Again, GREAT job on this!
Yup.... Amsoil is Wix.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #605
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^So are napa filters if anybody hasn't already said it.. Just drop the 5 from the wix number and there you have the napa number. 1348.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #606
MateoTorgy is on a distinguished road

Name: Mateo
MateoTorgy's Tacoma Gallery
Greatest Thread Ever

A link to this thread has been posted in many other forums, including the Rav4 and a Tundra forums in addition to Bobistheoilguy.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #607

For what it's worth, the bitog thread includes a post showing a graph comparing efficiency ratings of some of these filters including the Toyota. While the 100% synthetic filters achieve a 99% rating, the Toyota has a disappointing 51% rating. Looks and amount of material are one thing. Engineering, the molecular composition of the media, and actual tested performance are another. My gut tells me to stick with the M1 EP but I've ordered the Toyota from Amazon anyway just to compare the two.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #608

Mobil 1 EP & Toyota OEM

showphoto.php/photo/420981/cat/500][/url]

gallery/showphoto.php/photo/420980/cat/500][/url]

The Toyota filter may have more filtering media as spread out and measured in square inches, but the M1 has almost 30% more mass. Both filters are brand new out of the box. The M1 weighs 336 grams. The Toyota weighs 269 grams. I can't say whether the difference is in the canister wall, the metal components, or the filtering media. However, the M1 is smaller in size but it weighs almost 30% more.

If you watch Chris's videos, you'll notice that the Toyota filtering media appears as if it's foam, whereas the M1 appears to be very tightly packed synthetic material. There was a noticeable difference and it's what prompted me to weigh them. Also, the Toyota's gasket is a string compared to the thick and wide one on the M1.

After removing the factory installed Toyota filter, it stuck inside the Assenmacher socket wrench (filter end) I used to remove it. Using very light taps with a rubber mallet against the edge of the gasket, to dislodge it from the filter, the Toyota filter's outer wall dented significantly.

I ordered the Toyota filter after watching the videos and reading the many posts in response. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, especially Chris who I hold in very high regard. However, I'm sticking with the M1 and I have no plans to ever use this Toyota one I ordered from Amazon with the socket. The difference in design and quality is pretty obvious to me.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #609
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoTorgy View Post
showphoto.php/photo/420981/cat/500][/url]

gallery/showphoto.php/photo/420980/cat/500][/url]

The Toyota filter may have more filtering media as measured in square inches, but in terms of mass the M1 has almost 30% more mass. Both filters are brand new out of the box. The M1 weighs 336 grams. The Yoyota only weighs 269 grams. I can't say whether the difference is in the canister, the metal components, or the filtering media. However, the M1 is smaller n size but it weighs almost 30% more. If you watch Chris's videos, you'll notice that the Toyota filtering media appears as if it's foam, whereas the M1 appears to be very tightly packed synthetic material. The difference is obvious and it's what prompted me to weigh them. Also, the Toyota's gasket is a string compared to the thick and wide one on the M1.

After removing the factory installed Toyota filter, it stuck inside the Assenmacher socket wrench (filter end) I used to remove it. Using very light taps with a rubber mallet, the Toyota filter's outer wall dented significantly.

I'm sticking with the M1 and I have no plans to ever use this Toyota one I ordered from Amazon with the socket.
Thicker metal in the base. First thing I noticed when I took them apart. The Toyota filtering media is synthetic, and higher quality than the M1.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #610

Looking at them now. You're right about the base.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #611

There's an Amsoil efficiency comparison chart floating around on other sites. Here it is.

gallery/showphoto.php/photo/420985/cat/500][/url]
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #612
jahjah is on a distinguished road
jahjah's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota filter should be used if concern about Warranty issues is important since there can be no claim by Toyota that an inferior filter was used. The capacity of the filter as vaguely implied by the element square footage and weight is irrelevant unless you intend to use the filter well beyond the suggested oil change interval. Even if the element weighed ten times a much, it would not necessarily filter fine particle better. The Toy filter simply does not filter fine particles as well as a Hastings or Purolator Pure One or a number of other filters as evidences by the visual contaminants in the oil during a regular oil change duration. The actual specs for how much debris is captured for each pass of the oil at each micron size from one micron up is not available for most filters but is for the Hastings and Pure One. If the difference is not apparent to you, throw on a new Toy filter for a day after your oil has become dark using the Toy filter for 4-5K. Then throw on a Hastings filter for a day. Empirical. Nevertheless, even this visual evidence of contaminants does not necessarily correlate with more engine wear. The only unquestionable position is to avoid Fram filters that are so poorly made that the element is sometimes detached. Also, Fram does not seem to know in their database which cars require an anti-drain back valve and the absence of one on some vehicles means the engine partially loses prime every time it is shut down. Most people will not notice that their oil pressure light stays on longer when starting. The capacity of a filter that influences operation of the bypass filter can be of concern to people that want to run their oil for an extended period of time. The attempt to do this is a false economy because when the additives are added to do this, the cost becomes comparable to buying discounted synthetic oil at Costco on sale. Recycled oil is most often put to lesser uses so the desire to use less does have an environmental aspect to it even when synthetics are being used.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #613
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The color of the oil is due to the oil holding contaminants suspended, thus being removed when drained. The oil is filtered before it circulates thru the engine.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #614
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoTorgy View Post
There's an Amsoil efficiency comparison chart floating around on other sites. Here it is.

gallery/showphoto.php/photo/420985/cat/500][/url]
Of course an Amsoil filter is going to be on top of THEIR OWN chart.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #616
weezer will become famous soon enough

weezer's Tacoma Gallery
i used the orange fram filters from walmart on my 1st gen for 300k miles with no problems.

just saying.

i use the toyota filter on my 2nd gen now.

vw beetles didn't even have oil filters back when they were made. the early ones. they just had a metal screen inside the bottom of the crankcase that you cleaned out during an oil change.

i'm not so sure what brand of filter you use even matters to be honest. the main thing is change the oil and filter at least every 5000 miles. your piston rings will be worn out and you will be burning through oil alot before the engine fails due to the brand of oil or brand of filter that you use.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:14 AM   #617
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer View Post
i used the orange fram filters from walmart on my 1st gen for 300k miles with no problems.

just saying.

i use the toyota filter on my 2nd gen now.

vw beetles didn't even have oil filters back when they were made. the early ones. they just had a metal screen inside the bottom of the crankcase that you cleaned out during an oil change.

i'm not so sure what brand of filter you use even matters to be honest. the main thing is change the oil and filter at least every 5000 miles. your piston rings will be worn out and you will be burning through oil alot before the engine fails due to the brand of oil or brand of filter that you use.
Ditto, used Fram on my 1st gen too.
Seeing what is inside them from Chris's write up got me thinking to use the OEM ones. I found a good price on them by the case of 10. So, I figured, why not?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #618
JHart94949 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: ANT San Francisco
Name: Joe
JHart94949's Tacoma Gallery
Just tried the K&N for the first time as it was on special at O'Reillys with 5qts of Royal Purple. Wishing I would have used a Toyota filter now.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #619
Neonrt3 is on a distinguished road

Neonrt3's Tacoma Gallery
I come from the neon world (www.neons.org). Most of what I've seen relates mostly to that car/engine. However I've met some very insightful engineers as a result. I didn't read the whole thread, I've been through doing this myself 10+ years ago for that forum as well.

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

This is a resource that we used. Most people don't realize that there are only a few oil filter manufacturers in the world. Things change and change often.

I'll use what I know, Mopar, their filters have been bid out many times over the years. If there is old stock laying around, it might be from an old Manuf. or a new one. Usually one can tell the Manuf. by the holes on top of the filter, or the general construction. I know I can tell a champion labs filter by looking at the top of the filter.

Along those same lines... the engineers I know (They raced, they wanted to know as much as they could..) did flow tests, particle tests etc.. There were better filters to use then Mopar, one constant was the purolator Pure one (concidently, the same filter listed in this thread elsewhere for the Toyota), Mobile 1 and K&N were not as high on the list... One of the other best filters? The Champion labs STP/Champion/Bosh filter. Low cost, good filtering, good construction.

You can take it for what its worth.. my info, while somewhat dated, is what I still use. I have both Purolator Pure one filters, Wix (and by way of that Microgaurd(( Orileys house brand is now Wix too)) and I'll buy the STP/Champion labs filters when I can (I still have a Neon or two in my stables, makes it nice not having to get two different filters!)

Just adding what info *I* have learned over the years to the collective.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:56 AM   #620
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
This kind of reminds me of that joker who claimed to be a fram rep.

Products Discussed in this Thread