1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Muth Mirror Install Clarification

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Mingy, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Dec 23, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    That's perfect! Thank you again! You have been a great help, and I really appreciate it.

2. Dec 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM
    Mingy

Mingy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Milton, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    V6 uble Cab TRX/Towing
    Lear cap.
    You are welcome. I found the most challenging part of the install was figuring our the right wires, and everything else was pretty straightforward. If you run into any problems let us know ...

3. Sep 22, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I know this is an old thread, but I finally got around to hooking up my mirrors (hey it's only been around a year since I bought them.)

I used 06 Sienna mirrors (they are identical to the Tacoma) and was able to buy them with the heating elements already on them for $42.00 a piece.
    Thanks to another memebr on tacoma world I ordered a OEM switch for a 03 Highlander and installed it. It fits perfect and has a built in 15 minute timer. It ties into your dash lights so that when you dim them the switch symbol dims as well. The only thing I had to do was order a replacement bulb as our dash lights are amber/orange colour vs. the Highlander that has green dash lights. The switch wasn't cheap (around $60) but I do like the OEM look.
    I would make sure you use a relay though as I found out the hard way that the switch cannot handle much current.

Here is the link to the tacoma world thread.

El Cheapo Heated Mirrors - Page 6 - Tacoma World Forums

Thanks again for the great write up Mingy.
    Shawn

4. Sep 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    scottiem

scottiem Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    When you say you used 06 Sienna Mirrors do you mean that you used just the glass part and if so you wouldn't happen to have a part number for them and info on where you got them. Would like to get this mod complete before the winter shows up and it would be allot easier to just swap out the mirrors and wire them up to the switch you were talking about. Also do you have a part number for the replacement bulb. Thanks for any info and help you can provide

5. Sep 22, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Yes, I ordered just the glass part.
    The old mirror is easy to take out. You just have to angle the mirror up as far as it will go, then use a screwdriver at the bottom inbetween the black plastic mirror base and white plastic mount.
    Some people heated the plastic base up to soften it to take the mirror out, I didn't I just used a flat scraper and worked it behind the mirror until the mirror popped out.
    It is just held on by double sided tape. It is really quite easy once you see it.
    There are some good pictures in the ElCheapo link above.

The replacement mirrors I bought came with double sided tape discs to reattach the mirror.

The part numbers are:
    Burco Inc. 4007H (Drivers) and 5103H (Passengers). If you go to there website you can find a local retailer.

The switch part number is:
    84871-48030
    Thanks to CtryBoyInMT

The Bulb number is:

90011-01058

If you go through the ElCheapo thread, it is explained quite well.
    Don't make my mistake, make sure you use a relay.

Shawn

6. Jul 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Finally finished this project! Thanks so much to CtryBoyInMT and shawnd2.

On my 2010 the wiring seems to be different. Search as I might, I could not find a blue/yellow or a blue/black that was related to the turn signals.
    I finally found and used these wires with success, so I am posting them here for anyone else with a 2010 and perhaps newer model that is having trouble.
    I am pointing at the two wires on the fuse panel connector, they are the two on the bottom of the connector.
    The left is solid yellow, the right is solid light blue.
    [​IMG]

7. Oct 17, 2010 at 12:26 AM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Finished my installation today. Used '03 Highlander Mirror Defrost Switch and Muth Amber-only Heated mirrors. See attached doc for wiring diagram, part #s, splice points, etc.

Lessons Learned:

1. Secure wiring inside the door with adhesive-backed wire-tie anchors to prevent wiring being pinched or severed by door "detent" lever. Leave windows up to allow easy access of door interior.

2. Unseat both ends of door-to-frame boot. Much easier to thread wires through this way.

3. For Right Mirror, ground Heater & Blinker on passenger-side kick panel. Then you only need to route 2 wires across dash.

4. Use Power Outlet (15A) circuit to supply 12vdc to Heaters to insure ample current availlability.

5. Twist indicator wires on mirrors and route up & over plastic "frame".

6. To remove door panel, follow pictorial on www.*********.com. Before removing door panel, locate small retainer-clip below "sail". Press lightly on center of this clip to completely remove panel. This clip isn't mentioned anywhere I've looked.

7. Best to route wires across dash following factory harness using wire-ties to secure. This is easier if you remove Glove, Radio & Instrument Cluster.

8. Use 3/16" Female Quick-Disconnects for Heater tabs.

9. Highlander Mirror Defrost switch requires slight modification of switch-bay opening - just a small notch to allow on the left side. This notch will not be visible after switch is inserted. Truly OEM look when installed.

10. If you have blank switch bays, you can "borrow" illumination wires from an unused connector - pin 1 & 2 of any unused connector.

11. Use 16 AWG wire for heaters (& relay supply) to insure current-handling capability.

Attached Files:

8. Oct 17, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Cool mod but would it really be practical on a Reg cab? The point of the mirrors is to see behind/to the side of the truck. With a little turn of the head either way I can see whatever the mirror is showing me.

Our car is set up pretty cool. It has vents that go to the mirror so that when the defroster is turned on, it automatically sends hot air to the mirrors, seems like a very good design and very cost effective, no extra parts/wires.

9. Dec 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    COYOTE07

COYOTE07 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 DC TRD Sport Package
    TRD CAI, Heated Seats, A.R.E. Tonneau, Electric Fan Mod, Heated Signal Mirrors, FilterMag,

I was wondering if you used the MUTH Timer in your kit. I'm having a little trouble understanding your wiring diagram. When I installed mine over a year ago, I used a rocker switch from oznium.com and it's worked like a charm and looks good as well. However, nothing beats the look of a stock switch and I'd like to add the highlander switch to me truck. What I'm wondering is does the Muth timer work with the highlander switch? Thanks.

-Mike

10. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    ^^The highlander switch actually has the timer built into it, that's why it is so expensive. It works excellent, but you have to be sure to add a relay or you will blow the switch.

11. Dec 5, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    No

No, the '03 Highlander Heated Mirror Switch has a 15m timer built-in. It really does look OEM - even the correct symbol (heated side mirror) to boot.

If you have questions, just ask...:)

12. Dec 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    Canuck

Canuck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Nanaimo,B.C.
    Sat. Radio,Amp Research power steps&bedstep,Weathertech visors,Bakflip cover
    Thanks AeroCooper,
    I finished installing the Muth heated signal mirrors last weekend on my 2010.
    Your tip saved me from what would have been a frustrating search.

13. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    ^^ You're welcome, I'm glad it helped someone because I did spend a LOT of time trying to find these wires. In the end it was right there in front and not in back as most others seem to have found and used.
    I've had these up and running for 5 months now with almost no trouble. I did have to reposition the wires on the drivers side where they go into the mirror housing because they got pinched and eventually popped a fuse due to a short there. It is extremely tight in that spot, as anyone who has done this knows, so just a heads up to anyone else to be very careful in that area.

14. Jan 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    avettese

avettese Member

Member:
    BillyJoe, Could you please tell me what relay you used (P/N) and how you mounted it? I assume that you did not use the timing kit from Muth either.
    Thanks.

15. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Sorry for the late response - I was no longer subscribed to this thread. :eek:

You can use any SPDT relay with a 10A rating or higher (as noted in my doc). I purchased a "automotive" grade 20A SPDT relay with socket for $5.00 from eBay. I wire-tied the relay/socket just above the left kick panel for easy replacement.

No, I did not use the timing kit from Muth. That is included in the "Highlander Switch".

Hope that helps... :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. May 2, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    josh256

josh256 Apprentice Modder

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD exhaust TRD short throw shifter T-Rex Grille Rhino Wheels PL5300 latch Muth Mirrors Pioneer HU, amps and subs Image Dynamics in the doors Dynamat (everywhere) Dynaliner (selectively) 3M DiNoc wrap de-badge/rebadge (black)
    I just finished the install on my 2011.

Minor comments/additions to AeroCooper's post and pic:
    1) Both left and right turn signal wires are now yellow but are in the same location
    2) The brake wire is to the top right of AeroCooper's pic in the separate harness directly above the harness the left/right wires are located in.. EG: It is the blue wire in the top/right-most area of AeroCooper's pic
    3) An ACC lead is *not needed* for the current bi-color control module (will accept pulse power from the brake/left/right leads) however there are ACC leads in the same harness as the blue/brake wire

There is no longer any need to tap into any wiring/harnesses below the driver door/pedal panel as everything is available at the fuse area respectively.

17. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    I just purchased the Muth kit.

FYI if you put "muranoheat" in the promo code you get $108 off the heated kit!

18. Nov 14, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    avettese

avettese Member

Member:
    BillyJoe, Could you tell me why you have the connection to the switch pin 1 to "TAIL"? Is it to just get power for the internal lights on the switch?

19. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Yes, and this connection insures power is supplied only when you turn your parking lights are on.

20. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    avettese

avettese Member

Member:
    Does anyone have a part number for a bulb with a red cap that will go into the toyota heated mirror switch? The interior dash lights in my Tacoma are red but the heated mirror illumination is green. The toyota dealership couldn't help me.

Products Discussed in

To Top