Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2.4 p0402 EGR, replace or clean?

Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
omegax is on a distinguished road
omegax's Tacoma Gallery
2.4 p0402 EGR, replace or clean?

What does everyoen recommend? Just got this 99 tacoma off of my uncle - 180k miles, check engine light with p0402 from the threads ive read it seems like the EGR is the problem, do you guys normally clean it or swap it out ?

What other things - maitenance wise should I give a look? Oil was just swapped, and im going to be changing out the shocks
Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
402 is an excessive egr flow code.i would take the valve off and look at it closely to see if the pintle is stuck up or has carbon build up under the seat.also check the VSV valve.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
omegax's Tacoma Gallery
How would I go about checking the vsv valve? with a meter or is it something physical like the egr? Thanks !
Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Vsv is a solenoid. Put vacuum to the ports and check for leaks of its seat.
Cleaning an egr will buy you time to get a new one. It will only work if fouling was the cause of failure.
9yo egr throwing codes? If vsv is good, replace the egr.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
omegax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Vsv is a solenoid. Put vacuum to the ports and check for leaks of its seat.
Cleaning an egr will buy you time to get a new one. It will only work if fouling was the cause of failure.
9yo egr throwing codes? If vsv is good, replace the egr.
Thanks for the input ! I will verify the vsv - then replace egr - I tried cleaning the egr and it helped w/ performance for a couple startups and then today the light came back on doh ! O_O
Old 01-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dustinclm's Tacoma Gallery
i am having the same code for the EGR excessive flow. i am looking for a way to fix this. i am not familiar with this piece but i do know where it is located. can someone tell me what to clean when i take it off or what lines to check? thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
omegax's Tacoma Gallery
my problem ended up being the small little green sensor under the intake manifold, went to junkyard found another one and voila problem solved!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
dustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the sheddustinclm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

where is the sensor at under the manifold? and how do i know if it was bad?
***i found a clip on the intake manifold that is green but i dont know how to tell if it is bad or not
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
omegax's Tacoma Gallery
I will try and take a picture of it later today its too dark now - but you put your meter to it and it should read like 15-25 OHMS or soemthing, mine read 0 ohms went to junkyard and some were out of range (some very low like 5 ohm and some 100 ohms)
Old 01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #10

ok thanks. ill check mine