Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Check engin light coming on and then off???

Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
SBmudhog is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
SBmudhog's Tacoma Gallery
Check engin light coming on and then off???

I have a 2007 SR5 Sport with the 4.0l and 6 speed manual. A few weeks ago on my way home the check engine light came on. It was late on a Friday night and I was a mile from my house. The next morning I started it up and the light was not on. I drove around for about 2 hours and it came on again!! I went to Advance Auto Part, dealership was closed, they hooked up a code read. It said it was the left bank timing retardation. On the next monday I drove back to State College, PA, about 2 hours, and the light has not came on since!!

Sorry for the long post, but is this something I should be worried about?? the truck runs fine and it is up to date with the required services and oil changes. If anyone has any info on this please let me know!

Thanks!!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Retardation?
Old 11-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The actual failure code number like "P0xxx" would be a lot more helpful in giving you info on what to do. Timing retardation is something your engine does based on readings from different sensors. So maybe a sensor or cam phaser is going out. Until we know the actual code number it's like shooting in the dark.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Or the left bank is going lean, (sensor reads that), and it pulls back the timing. injector cleaner ran thru anytime recently?.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
I did not get the code itself. I have not ran any injector cleaner through it but that is a good idea! But like I said it has not came back on since. I drive 2 hours from State College, PA to home every weekend. I am going to get some injector cleaner, ant tips on which works best for the 4.0L????

thanks!!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I usually use the Lucas injector cleaner. It's very thick and you just add it to your gas tank. Used it on many different types of cars/trucks with no issues.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
I usually use the Lucas injector cleaner. It's very thick and you just add it to your gas tank. Used it on many different types of cars/trucks with no issues.
Thats the stuff I use also.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
I like turtles!!!
The Munster will become famous soon enoughThe Munster will become famous soon enough

Air Force: A1C 822BDS
Name: Lance
The Munster's Tacoma Gallery
hope this might help, straight from toyota's TIS network

Old 11-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
do you have that website address, I believe it could be quite useful
Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
I like turtles!!!
The Munster will become famous soon enoughThe Munster will become famous soon enough

Air Force: A1C 822BDS
Name: Lance
The Munster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
do you have that website address, I believe it could be quite useful
unfortunately it doesn't work like that, i work at a dealership....its one of the benefits
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #12

Yikes!! from reading the possible causes this could be trouble. Hopefully is just the oil control valve/filter & not the timing gear, ecm or valve timing etc. Might have to take it to a shop for repairs like that. Unless your skilled in this type of work.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
tacos's Tacoma Gallery
It could have been an oil control valve sticking. I see it occasionally on other cars and they can free themselves up with no issue. If the light comes back on most good scan tools can run an active test on the oil control valves to make sure they are no longer sticking. If it's off though I wouldn't worry about it.