Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Do We Have Any Amsoil Users?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Do We Have Any Amsoil Users?

The oil change interval for the new 1GRFE engines is 10k miles with 0w-20. I was gonna settle and do 7,500 with Mobil 1 but I'm starting to think it may be easier, and perhaps better, to just do an oil change once a year and use Amsoil. Amsoil is rated to last 15k-20k miles so it should last according to them, but was wondering if anyone else had some feedback on this oil. Im only going 10k-12k miles a year on the FJ.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Will the filter function (i.e., "filter") for that many miles...seems like it would get gunked up?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
yes!! i use a mann filter ml1003
Old 12-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil makes "extended performance filters" that last longer than 10k miles but they dont have one for the new 1GRE so theyre swearing buy a WIX filter which is also an "extended performance filter" and it's supposed to be a high quality filter as well but I'm still in the process of checking that filter out. My plan is to run the oil for a yr then do an oil analysis but I'm trying to get some basic feedback to see if it's even worth trying.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using amsoil and have had two oil tests done at blackstone labs. First one at 5000, second one at 10000. They advised to not go to extended intervals yet because of the break in particles still in the samples. I am getting ready to send in my 20,000 mile sample so we will see what it says. Dont really care about going a year but nice to know I could.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed
Old 12-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeith747 View Post
Will the filter function (i.e., "filter") for that many miles...seems like it would get gunked up?
Keep the air filter changed and you'll have no problems with the oil filter.

Think about it: if the (fully broken-in) engine is MAKING particles big enough to be a problem that the oil filter needs to catch...you got a bad engine! Main purpose of the oil filter is to catch particles that are drawn in to the engine from leaky vacuum fittings, bad air filter, leaking intake plumbing and...oil changes and checking the oil level even!

But, even so, it's commonly done to change the oil filter periodically. The oil anti-corrosion protection needs the kicker by the fresh oil added to be able to do 15-20K safely.

An owner is rolling the dice if he runs such long intervals without doing oil analysis anyway. Amsoil makes the claim that their oil will go that long and I'm sure it will (I've seen where guys run petroleum oils 10-15k safely) if everything is working just dandy and to that end there are a ton of provisos that go with it. Good luck fighting with them if your engine seizes with 19K on the oil and no UOA's to show you knew the oil wasn't being degraded by over-rich fuel mix or a coolant leak or a dirty/bad air filter or leaky intake/vacuum plumbing.

Just sayin'...
Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I use Amsoil and change it once a year, and I also use a Wix oil filter and change that every 5K miles. Amsoil is guaranteed for 25K miles for normal service (back and forth to work, etc.) and 15K for severe service. It's a great Group IV oil, whereas Mobil 1 and the rest of the well known synthetics are a Group III. I have run it in all of our vehicles and never had a single problem with it. When we had some work done on our Sierra, the GMC tech. said it was one of the cleanest engines he had ever seen on a truck with 120K.

BTW, do NOT go above the recommended change interval with regular oil (dyno), I don't care how many people say it will do it safely because it does not have the capability to do so.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
so... even though the oil is good for 15-25k, the filter still needs to be changed out periodically in between?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #10

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I use Amsoil and change it once a year, and I also use a Wix oil filter and change that every 5K miles. Amsoil is guaranteed for 25K miles for normal service (back and forth to work, etc.) and 15K for severe service. It's a great Group IV oil, whereas Mobil 1 and the rest of the well known synthetics are a Group III. I have run it in all of our vehicles and never had a single problem with it. When we had some work done on our Sierra, the GMC tech. said it was one of the cleanest engines he had ever seen on a truck with 120K.

BTW, do NOT go above the recommended change interval with regular oil (dyno), I don't care how many people say it will do it safely because it does not have the capability to do so.
awesome!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #11

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
so... even though the oil is good for 15-25k, the filter still needs to be changed out periodically in between?
yes....i switch out a mann filter every 6 months or 7500miles
Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

Interesting...in a real-world test M1 lasted longer than Amsoil which got nowhere close to that 25K service guarantee.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

Read them yourself.

Whatever your point is about gp IV vs gp III and III+, it makes no difference. Real world performance provides the proof that M1 is at least as good as Amsoil.

And regardless of what you are maintain, actual real world performance supported by UOA's shows that API SN petroleum oils are performing spectacularly even in the 10-15k range. I would never recommend it...but I'd never recommend anyone using Amsoil to 25k without UOA's either, which you are suggesting it's OK to do and the real-world tests linked above demonstrate quite elegantly would be insanely stupid to follow.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting...in a real-world test M1 lasted longer than Amsoil which got nowhere close to that 25K service guarantee.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

Read them yourself.
Those links are not dependable at all. They may be real world tests but there are way too many variables to be consistent with the true nature of the oil. Somebody reports a thickening of viscosity, but what they don't tell you is they live in a climate where it doesn't get about -10C during the day, in the winter. Not a reputable test at all if you ask me. How about a lab test of Mobil 1 and Amsoil in controlled conditions.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...rms_mobil1.htm

Quote:
Whatever your point is about gp IV vs gp III and III+, it makes no difference. Real world performance provides the proof that M1 is at least as good as Amsoil.
Now you are claiming no difference in the Group III and IV, but that's not what you were saying here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
You could too...no one makes a gp IV-only oil because it won't dissolve additives. And gp V oils are prohibitively expensive-- you can find them if you want though. Your A/C compressor probably uses about 4 oz. of it. So everyone uses gp III and gp III+ in their blends, even Amsoil.

GP III+ is effectively as good as GP IV now so it really makes no difference in use. So saying it's 'not as good as it used to be' is truly misleading. If anything, it's BETTER than it used to be, if your looking at 5 year old information! In other words: you're spreading old myths.

Finally, GP III+ is getting better all the time, as are mineral oils. So it's quite true that EVERYBODY is better than they used to be!
You say Group III and III+ are as good as Group IV, but then you go on to say it makes no difference. Point is, the information in these posts are contradicting.

Quote:
And regardless of what you are maintain, actual real world performance supported by UOA's shows that API SN petroleum oils are performing spectacularly even in the 10-15k range. I would never recommend it...but I'd never recommend anyone using Amsoil to 25k without UOA's either, which you are suggesting it's OK to do and the real-world tests linked above demonstrate quite elegantly would be insanely stupid to follow.
I am not suggesting anybody to run Amsoil to 25K, I have just stated that they guarantee it and that it's capable to do so. Mobil 1 will NOT say their oil can be changed on a 25K interval...
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Quote:
Those links are not dependable at all....

Now you are claiming no difference in the Group III and IV, but that's not what you were saying here....
LOL...so someone's well documented tests are ignored while we should believe your total lack of proof and reams of marketing hype instead.

OK.....this will go nowhere so this is my last post....

I didn't say there's no difference between III/III+ and and IV...I said whatever you POINT is about the difference your POINT doesn't matter since there are real world tests illustrating that in use, whatever the differences are, they don't matter that much for actual performance.

But you don't want to look at some facts and deal with them.

So there's no point in this.

Enjoy your oil.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
Reagan/Bush '84

Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
LOL...so someone's well documented tests are ignored while we should believe your total lack of proof and reams of marketing hype instead.

OK.....this will go nowhere so this is my last post....

I didn't say there's no difference between III/III+ and and IV...I said whatever you POINT is about the difference your POINT doesn't matter since there are real world tests illustrating that in use, whatever the differences are, they don't matter that much for actual performance.

But you don't want to look at some facts and deal with them.

So there's no point in this.

Enjoy your oil.
You're missing the point. I stated that the links you provided are not dependable due to the MANY variables (ex. different vehicles, different climates, different engines, etc. ) The links I provided show a test between Mobil 1 and Amsoil in controlled conditions, with a constant for each test instead of many different conditions. Look, I think Mobil 1 is a good oil and has it's positives, but I think Amsoil out performs it in a number of tests.

I'll use my Amsoil, you use Mobil 1, and we'll call it a day.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I use Amsoil 5-30 with an oversized K&N filter. I change it every 5000 miles. I want to add bypass filtration so I can go a little longer on the oil. I was thinking 7500 but not 15000 or anything crazy.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Quote:
You're missing the point. I stated that the links you provided are not dependable due to the MANY variables (ex. different vehicles, different climates, different engines, etc. ) The links I provided show a test between Mobil 1 and Amsoil in controlled conditions, with a constant for each test instead of many different conditions. Look, I think Mobil 1 is a good oil and has it's positives, but I think Amsoil out performs it in a number of tests.

Ok...so I lied...I had to respond...

The very reasons you said the real world test isn't 'dependable' are the very reasons they are the most important!

From just what little I've learned, motor oil chemsitry is incredibly complicated with a lot of interdependent factors. Some factors may look great, and none bad, but in use they don't stack up quite like you think they should.

Real-world testing is just that: real world. Those things happen and your oil has to deal with it. The Amsoil started out that real-world test with a nice high TBN, just like the link you provided showed, and it hung in there reall good, but then it just tanked at the end and he wouldn't chance his 10K Z1 motor with it anymore.

What didn't perform well through the test: Amsoil sheared out of grade; it was well on it's way to 50w in the engine when TBN went out and they changed it. Now THAT is a characteristic of the base oil, which is supposed to be superior PAO only. Why didn't it hold up in service? Who knows...but it didn't.

So then, lets consider those discrete tests in your links: commenting on three: TBN, four ball test and the pour point. Amsoil is shown to perform well, but then the characteristics of a lubricant that affect performance here can be and are modified - improved - by additives. I'm sure all oil manufacturers do it and Amsoil is no different. But as I've said, oil chemistry is very complex and interdependent: you add a little here you wind up having to take something away there.

Could any of that have played into the reasons why Amsoil didn't hang in there? Am I saying Amsoil is made inferior because they are great on those tests? NO!! All I'm saying is that with anything complex, and motor oil formulation is most definitely very much so, the whole is vastly more than the sum of it's parts! One can NOT look at discrete measurements alone and think that tells the whole story.

The way you demonstrate how your compromises play out is with real-world demonstrations and ultimately, Amsoil did well! Just not the 25 K miles I think it should for me to suggest anyone run it out there, especially without UOA's. And nowhere close to the hype.

Their guarantee is worthless, IMO, and it depends much on the fact that modern engines will last 100K easy run on tractor oil, as someone elsewhere put it, that's never changed.

That's real world.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #18
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, you guys are fiesty! I think Amsoil is too expensive for meee...
Old 12-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My truck lives and runs in a variable environment.