1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rear differential noise w/arb install?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by bills yota 2wpeel, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    bills yota 2wpeel

bills yota 2wpeel [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Haddam CT
    Vehicle:
    08' tacoma 5 lug silver
    Ready lift 5 lug 2.75 suspension, custom built 1.75 body lift, Nitto Grappler A/T 265/70R16, AR Tactic Wheels 16x8 4.97bs, AFE pro dry cai, ARB RD129 rear locker 4.10 gears, lc engineering header
    Hello, recently I installed an arb locker in a 8.4 tacoma third member, when installed the backlash was good @ .005 to .006" and the gear pattern looked ok. carrier preload was tight as I had to hit one shim in with a rubber hammer. Its silent almost always except sometimes when im driving uphill at low rpms in third or fourth then lay into the throttle, I now hear some some noise that pulses. Does anyone know if this is acceptable, or do I have to redo everything right away? Thanks.

2. Dec 5, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    When you say the pattern looked "ok".....What do you mean by that? It needs to be pretty close to perfect.

3. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    bills yota 2wpeel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Haddam CT
    Vehicle:
    08' tacoma 5 lug silver
    Ready lift 5 lug 2.75 suspension, custom built 1.75 body lift, Nitto Grappler A/T 265/70R16, AR Tactic Wheels 16x8 4.97bs, AFE pro dry cai, ARB RD129 rear locker 4.10 gears, lc engineering header
    I bought gear marking compound and my friend said pattern was ok. I looked at some pictures on gearinstalls.com but I didnt pay real close attention so maybe its no good. I screwed up cause I bought a used third from a '96 tacoma and when it was installed I discovered the bolt pattern on the driveshaft on my '08 truck was different so I had to unbolt and switch the pinion flange from my oem third member. I did tighten the nut to 180lbs, maybe this changed the pattern, I didnt recheck. Do you think if i dont beat on it ill be ok for a while, so I can save up to have a shop do it right for me?

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If the sound isnt too loud, just keep an "ear" on it, and make sure it doent get worse.

5. Dec 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I thing this info is confusing. Did you change your flandge after you set gears or before ? If you putting ARB you need to redoo the gears that includes new crush washer on the pinion unless you had solid one before.
    So was the change after you set everything or before?

6. Dec 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    bills yota 2wpeel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Haddam CT
    Vehicle:
    08' tacoma 5 lug silver
    I wound up switching the pinion flange after everything was set. I actually switched it while the third was bolted on the rear axle. I did this because the driveshaft was the last thing to go back on in order of assembly. Of course after realizing the flange was wrong I was cussing and kicking shit around.

If it werent for unbolting and switching this flange I never would have to take apart the pinion gear during the arb install. I only unbolted the bearing caps and unbolted the carrier and swapped the ring gear and carrier bearings onto the locker and put it all together. For all I know there could be a solid collar in the third member i put into the truck I never had the pinion area disassembled.

7. Dec 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    bills yota 2wpeel

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Haddam CT
    Vehicle:
    08' tacoma 5 lug silver
    Probably should have called eastcoastgearsupply to get a built third. I read about how satisfied other people are with their work and warranty.

8. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yeah I think you may screw up a setup. There are guys in RI that have Toyota shop and do set gears, so you may want to check with them I will PM you their link.

Products Discussed in

To Top