Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Air Intake Systems...

Old 10-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
AU DIGG3R is on a distinguished road
AU DIGG3R's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to AU DIGG3R
Air Intake Systems...

I just bought a 07 Toy Tacoma, and have a few questions.

A few days ago I bought the AIRAID. I went with it over the the K&N system becuase the AIRAID is 50 states legal. (I live in California)

Heres what I purchased; (but havent installed it because I want to run a few tanks of gas before, and compare)

http://www.airaid.com/510-179_toyota.asp

After browsing the net for Toyota accessories, i found this;
(now im not sure if its 50 state legal?)

http://www.trdpartstore.com/product_...7661ba7f3d2aeb

Any opinions/input would be appreciated!

Oh, do you know if my warranty would be voided by adding the Airaid intake????

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 10-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Well for intake systems there are quite a few K&N, Volant, Airaid and shortly URD (Underdog Racing Development). Unless Toyota can prove that the intake caused a mechanical failure it doesn't void the warranty.

I have learned that you will have to do some tuning after adding an intake and/or exhaust.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Oh really, what needs to be tuned? I called Airaid a couple of days ago, and they said the main thing is disconnecting your batt for a hour, that way it will reset the air intake sensor to the new cfm.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Meh,

From what I've read and heard from others. You would need a PSC-001 or PSC-003 (available at URD) and a wideband at a dyno shop to program your AFR for max efficiency and hp. I don't know if I would buy disconnecting your battery for an hour to reset the ECU.

Honestly I would e-mail the guys at URD and ask them. Hands down I would trust them over K&N, Volant, Airaid any day. Gadget does all his own R&D and won't put out a product without thouroghly testing it. They will be able to help you out considerably more than I would.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Thx Banshee I need to do some research!

I called about the TRD cool air intake system, and it isnt smog legal in Cal.

(it looks sweet though)
Old 05-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #6
robert is on a distinguished road
robert's Tacoma Gallery
save your old intake and change it back for smog and such
Old 05-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have the airaid intake(pics are dirty,havent cleaned it yet). i got maybe a mile to the gallon, maybe one more with my exhaust. got an awesome sound to it though when you rev it! check out the pics(link is in my sig)!!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
Rico is on a distinguished road

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the K&N intake and I got a new engine light that came up on my dash after doing a test drive. I'm very disappointed in K&N because the instructions said this would not disrupt any sensors. The disconnect battery thing is BS...it didn't solve the problem. What do I do...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 PM   #9
numchild is on a distinguished road
numchild's Tacoma Gallery
disconnect doesnt work

the 06-07 tacomas ecu does not reset by disconnecting the battery. these newly designed ecu's must be reset from the diagnosis computer. btw- got my headers on with an 18" magna flow.... sounds awesome (gurggle gurggle)
Old 06-07-2007, 06:03 AM   #10
brant_trd is on a distinguished road

brant_trd's Tacoma Gallery
I would reccomend the TRD intake I gained some hp and might have gained some mpg. But more important I have better throttle response and sounds sweet with the TRD exhaust. Kinda like a deep, aggressive sound and you hear the intake sucking in the air at low rpms.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I just installed the K&N intake and I got a new engine light that came up on my dash after doing a test drive. I'm very disappointed in K&N because the instructions said this would not disrupt any sensors. The disconnect battery thing is BS...it didn't solve the problem. What do I do...
Give it a whole tank of gas. It doesn't recognize it right away.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
TacoChef is on a distinguished road

TacoChef's Tacoma Gallery
Check Light

I installed a K&N Air Intake, JBA Headers and magnaflow exhaust. I have had no issue w/ the check light!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
Rico is on a distinguished road

Rico's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
Give it a whole tank of gas. It doesn't recognize it right away.
You were correct. The light did go away after about a tank of gas. really strange but it's gone.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
I have a check engine light, Toyota says my o2 sensor is bad... probably from the guys that installed it. but Toyota did not even touch it once they saw after market headers (no warrantee on it)
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
numchild, what intake system do you have? K&N? If so, your MAF sensor may be dirty from that and just needs a cleaning with a MAF cleaner.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
TacoChef is on a distinguished road

TacoChef's Tacoma Gallery
Headers

Numchild, what kind of headers do you have? I purchased JBA headers w/ 0/2 sensor connections. I have not had any problems w/ check engine light. I upgraded about 6 months ago.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #17
Yeah, I have the JBA headers with an airaid intake. it is a damaged o2 sensor, i have to check the connection first. Man Toyota was so disappointing, they refused to do anything once they saw somebody else installed the headers. the code p0015 reads- faulty o2 sensor.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:02 AM   #18
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Change the o2 sensor. They're about $70 online.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #19
m3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of lightm3dragon is a glorious beacon of light
m3dragon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
URD has the filter right in front of the radiator. I would be worried about Hydro lock if it starts to rain. Also if it is raining you will lose performance as the filter would get wet. Last I checked water flows air through it very poorly.

AFE or Volant seem 2 share the same design and seem to offer the best gains in theroy and numbers.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #20
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Just dont submerge them, other than that they are supposed to be fine in pouring rain, etc.