Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Destroyed my shock

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Destroyed my shock

Need some advice. Was taking off my coils today to swap them out and while unscrewing the nut that holds the shock to the top mount the nut got really tight for some reason and i stripped the stem pretty good. I have tried vise grips and still can't get a good enough grip with out stopping it completely. I can't tighten or loosen the nut. Need help please!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nut is fine just the stem is fubared
Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
Nut is fine just the stem is fubared
The shock is done... you should always soak these things in liquid wrench for a few minutes before removing the nut. You will have to cut the nut off and replace the shock.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #5

Navy:
yeah i kinda figured it would be toast. Now how do i get the damn nut off so i can keep the top mount.....
Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Wait are the coils still in there with no compressor holding them?!? It's gonna explode lol Screw it if they're your old shocks just cut em
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #7

Navy:
Lol no its still compressed. They are actually the shocks i wanted to keep. So i am gonna have to ordered new ones. Think i can melt the nylon in the nut to get it off?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktaco View Post
Wait are the coils still in there with no compressor holding them?!? It's gonna explode lol Screw it if they're your old shocks just cut em
I see the end of the compressor in the pic....

OP- just cut it off with a sawzall / cut off wheel if you have one.... you could try to soak it now with some liquid wrench and then grip the shaft under the top hat with a pair of vise grips.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #9

Navy:
unfortunately i dont have any liquid wrench so i am just gonna cut it. I still have my stock ones so i will throw them in till i get the new ones in.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
unfortunately i dont have any liquid wrench so i am just gonna cut it. I still have my stock ones so i will throw them in till i get the new ones in.
make sure you clamp it somehow. Those type of spring compressors are dangerous enough as it is. You don't want to be holding that thing with your hand while your cutting on it. the vibration could cause the compressors to slip.

EDIT: Make sure to wear safety glasses too. there is a possibility there is still some travel left in that spring and may snap your blade as you get close to finishing the cut.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
try putting a vice grip on the shock shaft over the part where its protected my the shock boot

Products Discussed in this Thread