1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd in rain?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ser240z, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Dec 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Blah blah 4wd this 4wd that. I have a 2 year old daughter as well OP and don't wheel as muchas I used to and I don't care if I don't ever use 4wd. Obviously I will since I'm moving back to Oregon but if you want to use the rain as your lame excuse to make yourself feel better by all means go for it.

Just another useless thread on Tacomaworld just like all the "what should I do?" Or "which this or that should I choose"

:)

2. Dec 20, 2010 at 2:17 AM
    ser240z

ser240z [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Monterey Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro 6spd
    If your not gonna use 4wd you shoulda bought a prerunner. If you got it you might as well use it every chance you get. How is that a lame excuse to make myself feel better? Why would you buy something and then not use it? Would you buy a house and not live in it? If you did would that make it a lame excuse to make yourself feel better?

I didnt ask anybody what should I do or shouldn't I do, try re-reading what I asked and you might get that. I simply asked how much slippage is required to run 4wd on pavement. All I read in other posts is that you can't use 4wd in situations that don't allow the front wheels to slip or things will bind and break, so I was simply asking how much is considered enough to prevent any damage. I never said anything about me losing traction or having trouble driving, I never asked if I should or shouldn't drive in 4wd in the rain. So how is this like evey other thread? I simply asked a simple question that obviously can't be answered with a simple yes or no, or even possilby am explanation of how much slippage is required.

I don't jump onto other peoples threads and start bashing them for asking questions, or telling them they need new tires or can't drive, so why don't we just stick to answering the question asked or keeping the threads clear.

3. Dec 20, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    Improper use of 4WD when it isn't needed (not enough slippage for the tires) is just going to eventually give you a big repair bill.
    4WD isn't like AWD.
    It needs the slippage (snow, dirt, etc) to work well and not bind up the drivetrain.
    Using 4WD when it isn't needed (rain is an example) is just poor driving knowledge.
    Good tires will do everything you need in the rain.

Superdave1.0 and Rock Lobster like this.
  4. Dec 20, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    Go ahead n run run 4wd all the time. Let us know when you break somethin in the front drivetrain from all the binding on a high traction surface. I don't see a need for it in the rain. I don't use mine til I'm in a spot that its absolutely necessary.

5. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There have been multiple threads about 4wd in the rain and the answer is based on slippage. Maybe YOU should have read the other threads more carefully. Slippage is pretty self explanitory. Either you can spin the wheels or you can't... How much slippage required is obviously up for debate, for example read every other 4wd in the rain or 4wd on pavement thread. Don't get pissed cause your thread turned into a crap storm just like every other thread that asked the exact same question.

To answer your first question, you use 4wd when you need it and conditions allow for it. I think I used mine maybe 2-3 times a year to get in and our of parking spots or every once in a while down a crappy back road. I've never once even thought about using it in the rain. If you use it incorrectly, you run the risk of causing damage (not referring to rain, just a general statement). I'd rather not use it than break something.

6. Dec 20, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
  7. Dec 20, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Scott... it is your truck, use it (the 4WD) on wet roads if you want... You don't need to, but at least the 4WD will get used as Toyota instructs once a month... Just go back to 2WD anytime steering is difficult due to the binding of the front and rear driveshafts in the transfer case... and never use on DRY PAVEMENT... unless driving straight to lube the parts monthly... as Toyota instructs.

8. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Scott , as stated above , use your truck as you wish . You will eventually wear out / break shit by using 4wd when it shouldn't be used , and you will get shitty gas mileage if you continually have it in 4wd , but it is your truck .

Bivouac likes this.
  9. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Rain is a lot rarer here in SoCal than in BC, so he won't be using it all the time, eh?
    His truck won't break four wheeling on wet roads, it is a Tacoma... we all have warned him about binding if the tires don't slip when turning...

10. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    0wrx2

0wrx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    north nj / upstate ny
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd sport 4x4. dbl cab. shrt bed.
    this.

11. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hahah yes!! I knew you were going to get butt hurt :) I did read your original post and maybe you should try re-reading mine as well as I clearly state that I am moving back to Oregon so why in the world would I buy a prerunner for as my hobbies require me to have a 4wd just in case I need it.

And I know you weren't asking for opinions..I was just stating that this is another useless thread that seems to be trending a lot on TacomaWorld and don't worry you're not the only person I've done this to. I will stop posting in your thread now. Have fun using 4wd while you can in the rain as this rain will not last forever!! ;)

12. Dec 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    You'll know the amount of slippage that's required to drive on wet pavement when things start binding up... the best way to tell is do it until something breaks. I personally wouldn't take that chance with my truck. There's some good info in the links below...

13. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    lsl8303

lsl8303 New Member

Member:
    I always use 4 wheel drive at higher speeds with heavy rain...I drive a lot of long distances...water pools on the ground in heavy rains and it absolutely makes a difference...it really keeps the rear end from fishtailing when you hit that random puddle but it won't save you like in the snow it just helps keep that rear end rock less rocky. I hear a lot of people saying they have never...so....how would they know if they have never used it? I also think some people really don't feel much with driving unless they are headed for the ditch...I am very aware of the feel of the wheels and control so I prefer 4 wheel drive in the rain in my lighter truck. One of these days I'm also going to add a little weight and see if it helps.

14. Oct 2, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    You know the old saying four wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop.
    Traction loss from rain- or worse, oily roads from a rare rain - won't be made better by 4wd. It won't get you unstuck, it won't help in an evasive lane change maneuver, and it won't help you stop faster. It will help in accelerating, which in turn will give you false confidence in pushing the traction envelope. Which, in a roundabout way, can actually make it more dangerous for the unweary driver than just 2wd with Trac control.

15. Oct 3, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    OP here’s a basic friendly answer to your original question. You do not for the most part ever have to use 4x4 on wet pavement due to rain. If you are slipping and sliding you need to have good tires and you need to slow down to a reasonable speed based on conditions. If you are sliding on wet pavement 4x4 won’t resolve the problem. Tires, speed reduction and driving skill is what is needed.
    As far as driving in 4x4 you can do so on dry pavement as long as you are driving on a straight road and making no turns. The only time you need wet or slippery road for 4x4 is when you make turns. If the wheels don’t slip the 4x4 system will bind and can cause damage during turns.
    An example of poor traction I had years ago on the rain is I was running BFG AT’s and at 60 more h and above in the rain they hydroplaned. 4x4 would not have changed that. I haven’t had that problem with any other tires.

16. Oct 3, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    God tier thread revival.

op probably figured it out by now.

17. Oct 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Excellent re revival

18. Oct 4, 2019 at 3:16 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    To each there own !

Then I seldom drive without at least 500 pounds in the truck .

Then I never thought of engaging 4x4 in the rain

19. Oct 4, 2019 at 3:36 AM
    That one old guy

That one old guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4x4 2.7 Access 5spd
    Stockish
    9 yr old thread. After the OP's 4wd started shitting the bed, he probably moved on to an AWD or a Volvo.

20. Oct 4, 2019 at 3:38 AM
    cleats50

cleats50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2007 TRD
    air intake push bar running boards
    Liberal slime. Will wash off soon. lol Slow down! Or spend some money on new tires.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top