Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Front diff problem?

Old 12-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
tacowade is on a distinguished road

Name: Wade
tacowade's Tacoma Gallery
Question Front diff problem?

A friend was stuck in snow so I pulled him out. I noticed that the only 2 wheels that were turning were on the passenger side. Both hubs were in the lock position. I thought when you pulled the lever back to 4hi or lo that both front wheels were supposed to turn. Is there something wrong with the front diff or is that the way it works?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
its an open diff so thats just the way it works. Traction goes to the wheels that have the least resistance
Old 12-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Ever heard the expression of one tire fire?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
its an open diff so thats just the way it works. Traction goes to the wheels that have the least resistance
This^^^
Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

Did they have any diffs in which both wheels lock?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #7

Were they a factory option that year?
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacowade View Post
Were they a factory option that year?
There was never a factory front locking diff option for Tacomas.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #10

yep
Old 12-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
*in the FRONT.
Fixed.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Tacowade, I posted the following YESTERDAY in this forum...

Traction: Better to have it and not need it
... than to need it and not have it!!!

The more traction your truck has the better!

First off, quality tires for YOUR conditions are the first step to gaining traction.

Next, add weight in an empty truck bed to increase traction over the rear drive wheels.

Third, up the level of traction (if you have the equipment to do so).

LEVELS OF TRACTION:

1) 2WD, open differntial. If one rear tire has LESS traction, it will get the torque from the engine... result, spinning tire and then stuck.

2) 2WD, limited slip (differential clutch pack* or TRAC and AUTO LSD). If one rear tire looses traction, the clutches in a limited slip differential or the rear brake on the low traction tire works to transfer torque over to the traction tire. TRAC has engine output regulation, AUTO LSD does not. While the transfer of torque isn't equal between the two rear tires, it does improve the ability to get unstuck. (*'05-'08 Sport TRD)

3) 2WD, rear locking differential*. When activated, torque is divided equally between the two tires. Both rotate at the same rate. Should only be used to get unstuck or cross a difficult surface. Steering ability affected as there is no longer any differntial action (allowing one tire to rotate more than the other, as needed in turns). (*2WD Off Road TRD)

4) 4WD, open differentials. Front and rear drive. The tires with less traction get the torque if traction is less than equal to the opposite tire on each axle. If both tires on the right side of the truck get on ice while the two left tires are on firm ground... the truck stops moving as the two low traction tires spin. Having front drive added to rear drive generally enhances the trucks ability over any 2WD only system. The weight of the engine over drive wheels is one part of the advantage.

5) 4WD, limited slip rear differential. This is one step better as the torque will be shared between both back tires should one lose traction. The torque transfer is not equal but anything is better than one tire spinning per axle.

6) 4WD, locking rear differntial. Both back tires have equal torque along with at least one front tire getting torque. Big improvement in off road ability and a very popular feature used by may companies. All 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas have this.

7) 4WD, limited slip front and rear differential (TRAC in H4). A big improvement in that torque is shared across both axles. All 2009+ 4WD Tacomas have this.

8) 4WD Active Traction Control (A-TRAC). The ultimate stock traction system equiped on 2009+ 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas. Provides the traction of front and rear lockers while in low range (L4) by automatically matching a non-traction tire's rotation speed to the opposite traction tire, when there is a difference. Steering control is not affected making A-TRAC superior for trail driving. The rear locking differential is also on the same model trucks should one wish to use it or both together. The A-TRAC will only be active with the rear locked up to 3 mph. A-TRAC used alone has no speed restriction.

9) 4WD with aftermarket front locker (and faxctory stock or aftermarket rear locker). For the true hard-core off roaders as nothing to them can beat front and rear lockers. Both wheels on each axle are gear-locked together for smooth equal torque to each tire. Steering is very difficult, so use of lockers is limited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is my understanding and experience with 4WD, and I tried to base it on the facts as I know them.

I hope it helps some with understanding how traction systems work, and how well Toyota has done at creating traction vehicles.

Toyota literature does fall short on explaining the traction workings, so I am inspired to write guides here on TW to our truck features, specially when off road!

(I did try to do more compromising with my friends with front lockers and Sport TRDs in my writing... Merry Christmas & Happy Festivus!)
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Tacowade, I posted the following YESTERDAY in this forum...

Traction: Better to have it and not need it
... than to need it and not have it!!!

The more traction your truck has the better!

First off, quality tires for YOUR conditions are the first step to gaining traction.

Next, add weight in an empty truck bed to increase traction over the rear drive wheels.

Third, up the level of traction (if you have the equipment to do so).

LEVELS OF TRACTION:

1) 2WD, open differntial. If one rear tire has LESS traction, it will get the torque from the engine... result, spinning tire and then stuck.

2) 2WD, limited slip (differential clutch pack* or TRAC and AUTO LSD). If one rear tire looses traction, the clutches in a limited slip differential or the rear brake on the low traction tire works to transfer torque over to the traction tire. TRAC has engine output regulation, AUTO LSD does not. While the transfer of torque isn't equal between the two rear tires, it does improve the ability to get unstuck. (*'05-'08 Sport TRD)

3) 2WD, rear locking differential*. When activated, torque is divided equally between the two tires. Both rotate at the same rate. Should only be used to get unstuck or cross a difficult surface. Steering ability affected as there is no longer any differntial action (allowing one tire to rotate more than the other, as needed in turns). (*2WD Off Road TRD)

4) 4WD, open differentials. Front and rear drive. The tires with less traction get the torque if traction is less than equal to the opposite tire on each axle. If both tires on the right side of the truck get on ice while the two left tires are on firm ground... the truck stops moving as the two low traction tires spin. Having front drive added to rear drive generally enhances the trucks ability over any 2WD only system. The weight of the engine over drive wheels is one part of the advantage.

5) 4WD, limited slip rear differential. This is one step better as the torque will be shared between both back tires should one lose traction. The torque transfer is not equal but anything is better than one tire spinning per axle.

6) 4WD, locking rear differntial. Both back tires have equal torque along with at least one front tire getting torque. Big improvement in off road ability and a very popular feature used by may companies. All 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas have this.

7) 4WD, limited slip front and rear differential (TRAC in H4). A big improvement in that torque is shared across both axles. All 2009+ 4WD Tacomas have this.

8) 4WD Active Traction Control (A-TRAC). The ultimate stock traction system equiped on 2009+ 4WD Off Road TRD Tacomas. Provides the traction of front and rear lockers while in low range (L4) by automatically matching a non-traction tire's rotation speed to the opposite traction tire, when there is a difference. Steering control is not affected making A-TRAC superior for trail driving. The rear locking differential is also on the same model trucks should one wish to use it or both together. The A-TRAC will only be active with the rear locked up to 3 mph. A-TRAC used alone has no speed restriction.

9) 4WD with aftermarket front locker (and faxctory stock or aftermarket rear locker). For the true hard-core off roaders as nothing to them can beat front and rear lockers. Both wheels on each axle are gear-locked together for smooth equal torque to each tire. Steering is very difficult, so use of lockers is limited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is my understanding and experience with 4WD, and I tried to base it on the facts as I know them.

I hope it helps some with understanding how traction systems work, and how well Toyota has done at creating traction vehicles.

Toyota literature does fall short on explaining the traction workings, so I am inspired to write guides here on TW to our truck features, specially when off road!

(I did try to do more compromising with my friends with front lockers and Sport TRDs in my writing... Merry Christmas & Happy Festivus!)
Does that apply to his '95 ?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Does that apply to his '95 ?
I was thinking the opposite. What doesn't that write up apply to?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
OZ-T, I made notes as to what new models come with the traction features, but, the way differentials work applies to all... jdtemple gets it!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #16

Do they make aftermarket locking front diffs for toyotas and who makes them? I have had chevys with front locking diff standard and it made quite a difference.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
I was thinking the opposite. What doesn't that write up apply to?
After re-reading David's post I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
OZ-T, I made notes as to what new models come with the traction features, but, the way differentials work applies to all... jdtemple gets it!

David , yesterday when I read this thread of yours I approached it to learn some more about the different traction control and drive modes and obviously completely missed the explanations of the diffs .

My apologies
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacowade View Post
Do they make aftermarket locking front diffs for toyotas and who makes them? I have had chevys with front locking diff standard and it made quite a difference.
As far as I know Chevy didn't offer standard front locking diffs either. ARB make a locking front diff for Tacomas. Since you have a 1st gen you have a few more choices. Aussie lockers are awesome and cheap. http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-27527.html