1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tranny problems

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Bud, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Oct 30, 2006 at 9:14 AM
    Bud

Bud [OP] Member

Member:
    I've been experiencing the same problems with the Tacoma 06 V6 5sp auto tranny shift up and down unnessarily when using the cruise control and then it suddenly increasing the set speed by 10 or more K on flat level highway. Scared the heck out of me. If I drive slowly at posted speeds without the cruise control engaged my best mileage is 20 mpg. but it's usually around 18to 19 mpg. From a dead stop at the lights with brakes engaged you are able to feel the truck wanting to jump or lurch forward. You really need to be aware that your foot is into that pedal when stopped. Also have the shuddering problem from quick acceleration and deceleration when using the transmission shifting from 5 to 4 while applying brakes. It almost feels like the rear end shuddering. We just had are first snowfall of the year and I've had an opportunity to drive in some crappy conditions just the last couple of days using the 4 wheel drive. With the current factory tires Bridgestone Dueler H/T 265/65R17. Terrible on snow and ice, Tacoma was having real problems with traction on the corners and even manueuvering through the parking lots. I would not trust those tires to get me out of a ditch. I've defiendly got to purchase some winter tires and put them on winter rims. (any suggestions would be helpful).

2. Oct 30, 2006 at 11:12 AM
    twoarezee

twoarezee Well-Known Member

Member:
    esco, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 Dropped Mini
    rims,tires,3"/6" drop, 4x4 front end, 01 tails and corners, prerunner buckets,tenzo r steering wheel w/ momo hub, b&m shifterw/ jdm trd knob, alpine system, tint, 3 3/4" autometer tach, jardine cat back, k&n, debaged, hellwig rear sway bar, kyb monomax shocks, tundra v8 oil filter w/ mobil 1 in ever
    i believe the 05+ auto transmissions are built to mimic a manual transmission. they up shift and downshift at points where the driver would shift if driving a 5/6 speed.

3. Oct 30, 2006 at 11:16 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    You Sir are correct. I also recommend getting some decent winter tires on the rig. Mine came with the BFG All Terrian's and they work really well for an all around tire.

4. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:19 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Dammit Tapatalk...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top