Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tapping into the dome light?

Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Tapping into the dome light?

So I got some LED strip lights and I wanted to put them in the foot wells of the truck. I want them to be activated whenever the dome light comes on, so like when the doors open, and close they turn on and off.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to find the info you need through a search. I took off my dome light and brought to the hardware store to find the right bolt to go through and secure it, others I have seen solider it on.

I did mine very similar to this but with the bolt the other direction, if you do it this way just be careful to get the shortest bolt that will work for you otherwise it will contact the roof and make the lights turn on (ask me how I know).

Some useful information in this tread (mines post 233).
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=91499
Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i tried searching a little, but came up blank on many threads. (haha i do know how so search)
So all I would need to do is tap connect the wire to the positive terminal of the dome, and then ground the lights? and they should work together?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
alright thanks. the lights are 12volt -so I shouldnt have to use fuses right?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
maconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of light

maconhurler's Tacoma Gallery
I ran my wires in the roof and soldered into the backside of the bulb contacts in the dome light. Was a pain in the butt to solder as the solder didn't want to take but I got it and it works great.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the help guys
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...light-mod.html
Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
<<<<>>>>
btuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
btuner's Tacoma Gallery
You could have just tapped into the blue control wire in the A pillar and then they turn on whenever you unlock/have a door open.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuner View Post
You could have just tapped into the blue control wire in the A pillar and then they turn on whenever you unlock/have a door open.

If only you told me that earlier....
Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post

If only you told me that earlier....
that is the best way to achieve the fade in/out
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
that is the best way to achieve the fade in/out
maby ill have to move it so it taps into there. the wires are already running up the A pillars so it shouldnt be that hard. plus i feel safer with them there instead of connected to the top of the dome.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #13
<<<<>>>>
btuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
btuner's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah just run one wire to a constant power source, ie the battery, and tap the ground wire to the blue wire in the A piller. It's really easy but took me a while to figure out as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuner View Post
Yeah just run one wire to a constant power source, ie the battery, and tap the ground wire to the blue wire in the A piller. It's really easy but took me a while to figure out as well.
shouldnt there be a live 12v power wire somewhere in the a pillar too? so i dont have to run the wires to the battery?