Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Foot lights activated with dome light mod

Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Foot lights activated with dome light mod

So I got two 15" LED strip lights in my stocking and decided to put them in the foot wells of the truck. But I wanted them to be activated when I open the doors.
The easiest way to do this was to basically do the "map lights on with dome light" mod, except run the wires from the dome light accross the roof, down the A pillars and to the foot wells and connect them to the LED strips.
It was pretty easy, except for routing the wires without tearing the interior apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er54gQxPjjw?hl=en

(let me know if the vid works...first time uploading a vid)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
webhead is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
webhead's Tacoma Gallery
That mod was awesome! Could you be more specific on what parts you used and maybe show which wires you modified? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
i Just connected each of the positive and negative wires of the led lights to the positive and negative terminal of the dome light.
althought i found out later that theres a certain witre in the A pillars that you can tap into and will yield the same results.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
thats sick!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Where di you get your LED strips? How did you mount them. 3m Tape? Looks good. Can you tell me how you can tell the diff between the POS and NEG wire in the dome light housing?
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
1st gen > 2nd gen

Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
I got the LED's as stocking stuffers. Im sure any LED strips would work.
To determine the positive and negatives: on the leds the wires stated if they were positive and negative, and for the dome light, i just touched the ends of the wires to see which way it would light the strips up. (caveman style)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
I've order my lights and will be doing this mod soon. Any tips or pointers for running wires along the roof and down the pillar?