1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Foot lights activated with dome light mod

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Rucas, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Rucas

Rucas [OP] 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    So I got two 15" LED strip lights in my stocking and decided to put them in the foot wells of the truck. But I wanted them to be activated when I open the doors.
    The easiest way to do this was to basically do the "map lights on with dome light" mod, except run the wires from the dome light accross the roof, down the A pillars and to the foot wells and connect them to the LED strips.
    It was pretty easy, except for routing the wires without tearing the interior apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er54gQxPjjw?hl=en

(let me know if the vid works...first time uploading a vid)

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Score.
    Nice Mod!:cool:

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    webhead

webhead Member

Member:
    Clovis, NM
    That mod was awesome! Could you be more specific on what parts you used and maybe show which wires you modified? Thanks!

4. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    Rucas

Rucas [OP] 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    i Just connected each of the positive and negative wires of the led lights to the positive and negative terminal of the dome light.
    althought i found out later that theres a certain witre in the A pillars that you can tap into and will yield the same results.

5. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    thats sick!

6. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    Average JOE

Average JOE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    3'lift,Upgraded sound system,Dyanamat interior flowmaster,K&N,
    Where di you get your LED strips? How did you mount them. 3m Tape? Looks good. Can you tell me how you can tell the diff between the POS and NEG wire in the dome light housing?

7. Jan 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    Rucas

Rucas [OP] 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    I got the LED's as stocking stuffers. Im sure any LED strips would work.
    To determine the positive and negatives: on the leds the wires stated if they were positive and negative, and for the dome light, i just touched the ends of the wires to see which way it would light the strips up. (caveman style)

8. Apr 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    That looks and works perfect.

I guess I was wrong about being finished with mods.

9. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    I've order my lights and will be doing this mod soon. Any tips or pointers for running wires along the roof and down the pillar?

Products Discussed in

To Top