1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deck plate mod/check engine light/cold weather. "READ".

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Matic, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Matic

Matic [OP] The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Thought I would throw a bit of info your guys way.

I am up in indiana for the holidays from south carolina visiting my family.
    It's frigid up here and temps have been in the single digits, much colder than what my truck experiences in the south.

Yesterday after getting my cb tuned at a shop, I pulled out onto the main hwy and noticed my check engine light on. I went on over to autozone to have an odb2 scan done.

code: P1135
    Air/fuel sensor heater circuit response. (Bank 1, sensor 1)
    (1) Open or short circuit condition.
    (2) Poor electrical connection.

The salesman said it was a pretty vague description and suggested I go to a local service center. (very small town).

The guys pulled up the code again and either suggested a front 02 sensor or......After notifying him that I had this deck plate mod he suggested that sure, it could be a possibility that in this frigid weather that the airbox was pulling in way to much cold air. Back to autozone I go.
    We price some at $370. WTF!!!!
    I thank him for his time and cruise on over to advance auto.

Advance runs another obd2 scan and it comes up the same. But the tech doesnt believe it's an 02 sensor since it is just showing "Air/fuel sensor heater circuit response". He quotes me a price of $179 for an 02 front sensor. I also explain to him that I have a "deck plate" mod and what it's function is.

I pull the lid out of the toolbox, screw it on. Restart the engine 4 times and the check engine light goes off. Sweet!
    I thank him for his time and head home.

2 miles down the road, it comes back on. I stop at a stop light, restart the engine 3 times. circuits set themselves, light goes out.
    I'm convinced that sitting still it's drawing warm air from the engine bay and once moving it starts drawing in this 20 deg cold air and sets off the check engine light.

Anyone live in very cold climates with the deck plate mod have any experiences similiar to this?

Thoughts?

2. Feb 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    The Munster

The Munster I like turtles!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    o2 sensors and air fuel sensors are WWAAYY different.

3. Feb 9, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    The Munster

The Munster I like turtles!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    TIS shows me three likely options.
    1. open/short a/f heater circuit
    2. a/f heater
    or worst case scenario.
    3 ECM
    replace the a/f sensor.. do a factory one just to be on the safe side, if you don't be ABSOLUTELY sure they give you a air fuel sensor and NOT a 02 sensor

4. Feb 17, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Matic

Matic [OP] The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Kinda odd.
    It hasn't came on but only 1 time since I was in that frigid temps in indiana.
    Just crossing my fingers but knowing my truck is probably gettin a bit old nowadays and things like these will need to be replaced soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top