Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Turn signal doesn't work, hazards do!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
FooD2000 is on a distinguished road

FooD2000's Tacoma Gallery
Turn signal doesn't work, hazards do!

1996 Tacoma, I did a radio install (blew 1 fuse to dome light) but after, my signals don't work:

- My hazards work (the arrows light up as well)
- Checked fuses both place inside the car and under hood
- I've switch the other relays and found no change.
- replaced flasher (part #ep 35 from autozone).
- bought a used junk yard turn signal switch
- i've also pulled my radio to look for exposed wires, looked fine from what i could tell.

Any Suggestions or ideas?

I had this posted in the "Lighting" but wasn't getting much luck, was hoping to get any suggestions in this section.

My only guess is maybe some wires behind the radio maybe is shorting?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I was just looking at a wiring diagram for your truck and there is a junction box of some sort with green/white wires going in/out of it that is located in the center of the dash (possibly by the radio you installed). Maybe try finding those to see if maybe you pinched them or cut them?

I tried uploading the picture on here but it's too fuzzy.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm guessing on this. But junction box 3 is what I'm leaning towards.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
check your blinker fluid.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
check your blinker fluid.
lol.

It's probably the muffler bearings.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
He might have a clog in his fallopian tubing.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
I'm guessing on this. But junction box 3 is what I'm leaning towards.
+1. But it's weird that you blew your overhead lamp fuse. Something's gone wrong. Did you disconnect the negative battery terminal while you were working on the electrical system? ALWAYS DO THAT!

Did you cut any wires? Which ones? I'm EXTREMELY UPTIGHT whenever cutting or crimping into any factory wires. Did you maybe cut/splice/tap-into into the wrong wires?

Open it back up.

Look for loose connections, esp. at that junction box 3.

Check and recheck that you only tapped into the right wires.

After that, you're in for the "long session" of tracing and testing with schematic and multi-meter in hand.

Good luck. I'm afraid you're going to need it.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I had this same problem with my honda... Have you checked for voltage coming to the relay?