Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Squeeky sound from driveshaft?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
Squeeky sound from driveshaft?

Today as i was driving this really loud squeeking sound was occuring. I cant pin point where its coming from but its towards the rear of the truck. Sounds like something that is spinning is what is making the sound. Also, i dont know if this is related but my driveshaft seems like it has a little play in it. When i let off the gas and then step on the gas i hear a thud from the rear. I went underneath the truck and where the drive shaft connects to the diff it seems like their is a little play in it. If any one can help me figure out what this squeeking noise is i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
MikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MikeyD's Tacoma Gallery
I think i have pinpointed the problem. The squeeky sound i believe is the carrier bearing and the clunk is a U joint. Both prematurely wore out because of the 2"s of rear lift i have. I do not have axle shims which is my fault. That probably could of prevent the u joint from wearing out. Also do you guys think i should just upgrade to a tom wood 1 piece shaft. Mine as well if im going to replace this other stuff.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
idk but you should find out how much the carrier bearing runs since mine went out too