1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota diesel

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Buckfever, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Aug 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    yeah I hear you on the 1.9... I'm actually just going with 1.6 N/A for its simplicity... this little thing is just going to be a little weekend wheeler to pile friends into and hit the tight trails... so 4-low will make up for low hp (as if a samurai's 64hp 1.3L is a powerhouse anyhow) and with the diesel torque it should be a great little commuter as I plan on keeping near stock height on it maybe just a 235/75 tire or so

2. Aug 26, 2008 at 12:10 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    If you can - you should really consider the 1.6TD. The engine block is the exact same (save the oil injectors under the cylinders to cool the cylinders). The turbo isn't that complicated (waste gate design), and it has much more power.

I had a VW Caddy (Rabbit Pickup) with the 1.6D, and I can tell you that it is gutless - COMPLETELY gutless. I got 50 MPG, but I couldn't hold 65 mph unloaded uphill. If you put more than one person in it, the 1.6TD is a much better engine.

My dad still has a 91 Jetta 1.6D, and his is gutless too.

3. Aug 26, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    350TacoZilla

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    lol ok I know its down on power but have you ever driven a samurai with the stock engine? 60mph MAYBE top speed and I dont even need that...just looking for mpg on trails... gas motors use much more fuel on slow trail rides than a little diesel idling its way through the woods

4. Aug 26, 2008 at 3:15 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    True. Just don't plan on using it as a commuter. It is a tractor at best.

5. Aug 26, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    Buckfever

Buckfever [OP] Hook 'Em

Member:
    Liberty Hill, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 debadged
    TSB (4 leaf spring added to rear with Bilstein 5100s)
    When the Mahindra diesel pickup is released here in the US, I am going to LOOK at it and test drive one just to see what kind of product they are putting out. Here is the link to the website of the company that is going to import the vehicle beginning in 2009.

http://www.gv-usa.com/vehicle-info.php

The powerplant is a 2.2L common rail diesel engine with around 300lb torque, 130 hp, 1.3 ton payload and an estimated 28-35mpg. I have read that Mahindra is planning to use technology similar to the Bluetec system that enables Mercedes-Benz to meet emissions standards in all 50 states, the Mahindra trucks will be equipped with urea reservoirs to eliminate nitrogen oxides from their exhaust.

Depending on the market share and number of units Mahindra moves, this might drive Toyota and other manufacturers to reconsider the demand for midsized diesel trucks in the US.

007tacoma:
    Mahindra will be assembling the "knocked-down" versions of the pickup here in the US to circumvent the "chicken tax" you referred to. Why can't our beloved Toyota throw us a bone here?

6. Aug 26, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, that is partly true. They are actually going to make the body parts here. The engines will be imported. They aren't making the same truck that is made in India. It is going to be very much redesigned from what you see on the pictures.

Also, according to PickupTrucks.com, Mahindra is going to delay the release of their truck until late in 2009. Apparently, they don't want to be as embarrassed as they were in other markets when their product was deemed sub-par.

Toyota doesn't think that the American market wants a diesel engine. Their diesel sales in the late 1980s were poor to say the least. Everyone has it in their head that Americans don't want diesel engines for their noise, smoke, pollution, and lack of power. Even though that perception is inaccurate for modern diesels, they are correct. Americans seem to want hybrids and think diesels are bad for the environment.

7. Aug 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM
    Buckfever

Buckfever [OP] Hook 'Em

Member:
    Liberty Hill, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I love looking at other countries' forums and admiring their Hiluxes and the mods they have done to them. It is one of the reasons I keep my mods budget pretty small and put that "play" money into other toys...the dream of one day owning a Toyota diesel!

8. Aug 26, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    350TacoZilla

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    i know its kinda off topic but I have a picture of a mahindra us spec'd truck and it says 2.6L CRD on it

9. Aug 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    HUH? Really? I would love to see that pic...

10. Aug 26, 2008 at 9:00 PM
    350TacoZilla

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    so would I at the moment..... apparently someone threw out all my old issues of diesel power magazine

FOUND IT lol it july 2008 issue of fourwheeler mag... black mahindra crew cab says on side 2.6 CRDe

I guess I could try to take a picture of the magazine page dunno..... but yeah on all the net pics I dont see it but in the mag it says it right under the marker light on front fender

11. Aug 26, 2008 at 9:02 PM
    350TacoZilla

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    oh and here is probably the best swap idea ever for a tacoma... 2.8 VM motori from a jeep liberty.... avail in US... great engine...plenty of power for a tacoma..

12. Aug 26, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Unfortunately, we have been there - done that.

...that was Todd's original idea last year (dieseltoyz.com). Todd already had the transmission adapter to the 6 speed manual. Problem came to be that the oil pan (which was strangely shaped) could not be adapted to fit around the front axle. It was a huge disappointment for both of us. So, now we are working on the D4D project...

13. Aug 26, 2008 at 10:16 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Hey, those Mahindras don't look too bad! Kinda reminiscent of the 1st gen Tacoma at first glance... certainly a lot better than the concept puke we see from other places.

EDIT: looking closer at that small pic, it's more like a 1st gen nose with an '81-'83 bed and cab lines... I think I'm still ok with it!

EDIT EDIT: OK, I kinda don't like the wave in the side, and the cab looks a bit too tall... but still...

Here's some more specs from the folks down under

... and it's a 2.5 CRDe

14. Aug 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM
    HighDesert

HighDesert Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4
    The Toyota D4D is a fine diesel. Since there is about 30 percent more energy in a unit of diesel than gasoline, the real world performance of diesel translates into much better economy, a torque curve well suited to an automotive application, and improved engine longevity. Diesel also produces far less CO2 than gassers and home-grown biodiesel does not take a mileage hit as does ethanol. My VW TDI will blow the doors off my Tacoma while providing better than twice the fuel economy. If smaller companies like VW and Honda can produce clean diesels so can a much larger company, Toyota. Toyota is only interested in profits; if we all had the perspicacity (balls) to refrain from purchasing a Tacoma gasser, we would see a diesel. Isn't it time we told Toyota that we are not a bunch of naive hicks :D

15. Aug 26, 2008 at 11:12 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I have multiple times over asked about a diesel engine Toyota. The response I got - Tundra HD in 2010.

Ugh. Sounds like a space odyssey to me. :rolleyes:

16. Aug 27, 2008 at 8:35 AM
    Buckfever

Buckfever [OP] Hook 'Em

Member:
    Liberty Hill, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I kept getting the same response when I emailed Toyota Customer Care (see address ealier in thread). I aked about the diesel possibility in their Tacoma platform and Toyota kept responding with "we're working on a diesel in the Tundra." it has frustrated me to know end. Have you calculated how long you would have to drive the D4D conversion (when and if possible) from dieseltoyz to make up for the initial investment. I've yet to do that and am curious.

17. Aug 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    350TacoZilla

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    well if he is done with that Vm motori send it my way I'll make it fit... lol ... if you put like a 6" fabtech lift on your truck the front axle wont be a problem .... or you could hacksaw the entire front out like some jackass's (me) do and put in a solid axle

18. Aug 27, 2008 at 9:55 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Not yet - we have to figure out how much the import is going to cost first. Then we have to go over the cost of conversion. Then (for my truck) we have to figure out whether to ditch the automatic transmission (my vote - yes) or setup the conversion to work with the auto. We will probably set it up to work with the auto so that he can sell more of them.

19. Aug 27, 2008 at 10:01 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    well, he already sold the block. I don't know that he still has the adapter set. I will tell you this much - if Todd does a conversion, it looks stock. You won't be able to tell that the engine under the hood didn't come from the factory that way. He doesn't have to add a lift or anything. His conversions are beautiful.

20. Aug 27, 2008 at 10:35 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I drive a diesel VW (jetta) and the difference is incredible with my 100hp turbo charged engine (stock) and my 95 taco. If you should ever drive diesel you would immediately fall in love with it. Yes the cost per gallon is more but the benefits are greater. More MPG, More torque, and as toyota continues to use the plastics ie. on their beds throughout the rest of the truck the mileage will continue.

It's my understanding Honda is developing an engine to get around the emissions standards and it is suppose to be a much better truck at mileage than present. GM, and Ford are suppose to introduce diesels in their smaller trucks as well. There is a market out there and I think Toyota can tap that market if they will. But then again the Japanese are known to be very secretive about the auto research and when they will introduce something new.

When the diesel gets here...I'll be in line:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top