1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Missing bolt and new rattle in driver's door

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by oldcb, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    oldcb

oldcb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CB
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma 4x4, 4 cyl
    Ran some errands in town today, and when I shut the door at one point it sounded just like a hammer handle was loose inside the door. There's now an empty hole where a bolt head had been, this in the end of the door below the latch and immediately below the VIN sticker. Swing the door in either direction and you can hear something substantial is no longer held in place. Latch, lock, and window crank all behave at present, but I don't want to let this go and let it develop into something.

So, I know I need a bolt (or machine screw or whatever), and that I'll need to remove the inside door panel for access. I'm generally wary of prying off an inside door panel until I know I can do it without damaging something. Is there any trick to removing the driver's panel? (I have crank windows and no auto door locks, no auto anything running to the door.)

And can anyone specify what size bolt I'll need, so I can get it from hardware store or auto supply house -- I HATE dealing with a dealership, and do so only if absolutely necessary.

2. Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    Skinnymaestro

Skinnymaestro New Member

Member:
    I ran across exactly the same problem today while running some errands. I had also noticed the missing bolt where you described. I'm wondering if you ever found a simple solution to this problem.

3. Jul 13, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Hardest part is removing the u-shaped clip that holds the manual window crank in.
    Otherwise, its just removing trim, bolts, screws and snapping off the panel from its clips,
    then lifting it up and out of the door.

A photo of the hole with the missing bolt would help.

Dalandser likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    Skinnymaestro

Skinnymaestro New Member

Member:
    I just finished fixing this. The missing bolt holds the window track in place. I went to the local NAPA and they helped me size a replacement bolt. Then I was able to pop the door panel out just enough to reach in and hold the window track in place while inserting the new bolt. Didn't require removing the manual window crank, but I've got small arms. Good as new.

tomwil likes this.
  5. Jul 13, 2017 at 5:58 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
  6. Jul 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I do this, but just with a thin tie down strap and it gets it pretty quick and easily without damaging the door panel.

Products Discussed in

To Top