Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Missing bolt and new rattle in driver's door

Old 01-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
oldcb is on a distinguished road
Name: CB
oldcb's Tacoma Gallery
Missing bolt and new rattle in driver's door

Ran some errands in town today, and when I shut the door at one point it sounded just like a hammer handle was loose inside the door. There's now an empty hole where a bolt head had been, this in the end of the door below the latch and immediately below the VIN sticker. Swing the door in either direction and you can hear something substantial is no longer held in place. Latch, lock, and window crank all behave at present, but I don't want to let this go and let it develop into something.

So, I know I need a bolt (or machine screw or whatever), and that I'll need to remove the inside door panel for access. I'm generally wary of prying off an inside door panel until I know I can do it without damaging something. Is there any trick to removing the driver's panel? (I have crank windows and no auto door locks, no auto anything running to the door.)

And can anyone specify what size bolt I'll need, so I can get it from hardware store or auto supply house -- I HATE dealing with a dealership, and do so only if absolutely necessary.