1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird problem with pass. power door lock

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mizsydney, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jan 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    mizsydney

mizsydney [OP] New Member

Member:
    we just started having the oddest problem with the passenger door lock. I searched the forums but couldn't find anything similar.

if we use the keyless entry fob, the passenger door unlocks and the passenger can exit. if we use the door switch, either passenger or driver-side, the lock knob will pop up about halfway, not enough to unlock the door. if we pull on the lock knob, it only comes up halfway and the door won't unlock. if we relock the doors (using either the door switch or the fob) and then use the fob to unlock, the knob pops up all the way and the door will unlock.

if it was the power actuator, I would think we could pull the knob up manually to unlock the door. if it was a break in the linkage or even a sticky linkage, I wouldn't think the fob would work. I really can't imagine how the fob can work but the door switch doesn't. I would think they use the same actuator, why would you have one for the switch and one for the fob? if it was a bad switch, wouldn't it just be completely dead, not open the lock halfway? and shouldn't we be able to use the knob to unlock manually, regardless? and if we can't budge the knob manually, why does the fob pop it right open?

the key works to unlock the door, but it's not getting into the truck that's usually the problem. the problem is that the passenger can't get out until the driver exits, closes their door, and unlocks with the keyless fob, or walks around the cab to open the lock with the key.

I don't know where to start looking for problems. suggestions welcome!

2. Jan 8, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    It almost sounds like your not getting full signal to the lock from the switch. Can you lock with the switch fine? Almost sounds like a grounding issue of sorts. Did I also read that the passenger cannot manually unlock the door to exit?

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    mizsydney

mizsydney [OP] New Member

Member:
    locking with the switch works fine, but locking with the fob seems to make it easier to unlock.

and you are correct, the passenger can't manually unlock the door to exit. it's very disconcerting.

my husband has a theory that the passenger broke the lock by trying to open the door at the same time as the driver is unlocking with the fob. you know, the "wait!" "try again!" "wait!" ballet. I don't know, I hope not. our last Toyota was 20 years old when we sold it. I'd hate to think they are that easily broken these days.

thanks for any suggestions!

Products Discussed in

To Top