Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How to store my stock tires???

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
How to store my stock tires???

I have a set of stock TRD off road BFG's that have 24,000 miles on them. Acording to their wear marks they have about 55% tread left on them and I would like to keep them for road trips and so on. Right now I have them sitting in my garage stacked on top of each other with about 30 PSI in them. A friend of mine told me thats the worst way to store them and to take all the air out and set them in plastic bags??? What is the best way to store these as I plan to use them for road trips or long drives instead of my KM2s...

BTW if you in hawaii and wanna buy them make an offer...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
just leave them stacked you can't hurt them.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
see thats what i thought i could do but according to some friends they say that they will dry rot in about two months and be unusable? Are they full of shit?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #5
wont a plastic bag increase the corrosion ?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
Master of the Prius...
SpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryen
SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SpazzyB
get some sealed plastic bags and if you want, tire totes. you can get the bags from tire shops.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
N.GA Taco x3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
N.GA Taco x3's Tacoma Gallery
great ?

I have the same issue, a set Firestone Destination Le's (with alloys wheels) with about 7K stored on the wood floor in my weather-tight shed, laying flat on their side with air, stacked 2 high. Hoping they won't dry rot before i can use them. They are already about 5 years old, truck didn't get driven much before i changed wheels, sat in a heated garage out of the sun and weather, so i think the tires are still fine, no signs of dry rot, but can you really tell? I wonder what the bags will do? Any more suggestions guys?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
arrowthrower is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
arrowthrower's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a set of tires setting in my barn outside, no heat for atleast 5 years now. I use them periodically if I have a flat or if someone needs to borrow them. They are full of air and have not dry rotted yet. I don't ever wash them, have dirt on them, sitting on a dirt floor. They look and work perfect. So I don't think storing them is a temp controlled garage will dry rot them. Just my opinion.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so everyone is worring about the tires dry rotting? What do you think happens to the tires after being made? If you stand them up they might go out of round. Just leave them in a dry spot and maybe restack every once in a while.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I used two pieces of wood and stacked them on top. Wood was just to keep them off the ground.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
left em in a dry spot outta the sun and sure enough they are cracking after only 6 months...
Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
Taco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant future
Name: j
Taco4Fish's Tacoma Gallery
Im just wondering, your saving it for a long road trips.... dude it takes like one hour to drive around the entire island. Just use the km2's and sell the stocker's.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #13
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco4Fish View Post
Im just wondering, your saving it for a long road trips.... dude it takes like one hour to drive around the entire island. ...
Thank you - I was wondering about 'long road trips', but didn't want to be the one to say
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Epic Thread resurrection

Ok so i'm thinking about buying a set of wheels and tires, but can't put them on the truck til i lift it, which is in about 8 months when i get back from a deployment. anyone think i should just wait or get em now and risk cracking/ rotting? i found a good deal thats why i'm thinking about doin it now. any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
just wait till you get back bro... it'll eat at you for the entire deployment... Trust me, I know!