1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DYI Install reversable hardwired GPS for $10.99 without cutting a single wire

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Kingfrog, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Mods should move original here....

First of all, I am not one to do many modifications myself. Especially electrical.....It's not my idea of fun. I don't have the patience or the time or the inclination. I hate wrenching. I don't even do my own oil changes (but this truck may change that). I especially don't like to go too far from stock as I know from being a vehicle buyer in my life I prefer a non "fc,ked with" vehicle.

That said, If I can do something anyone can do it and likely better.

I did a search for "GPS hardwire" and all these complicated procedures came up and hardwire kits and fuse kits, tapping overhead consoles etc......... (remember I don't like cutting wires) but I wanted to use the BT feature without intervention or cables running down from my RV mirror.

with the following caveats:

A>spend less than $ 20 and 20 minutes....LOL
    b>Without changing anything about the electrical system of the truck or Garmin Unit
    b> The ability to reverse everything in 10 minutes
    c> the ability to switch off the GPS with a switch rather than having to tilt it down and find the switch on top of the GPS unit as they tend to fall off when messed with.

So for the few who don't want to tap into the fuse box or buy a hard wire kit. this is a preschool way to mod an "always on yet switchable" non permanent GPS in 20 minutes using one of the two 12v receptacles on the console. Without cutting a wire anywhere.

I did this because I need BT and didn't want to replace the stock radio or install a standalone BT unit. Unit is a Garmin with Traffic so I needed the Garmin adapter and did not want to cut it up.

I bought an extension 12v cable at Radio Shack with a switch on the plug side. This is so easy no pics are needed.

Mine is mounted above the mirror where it cannot be seen easily from outside the windshield. The tail is about 4" sticking out from the headliner. The male end extends a few inches from the back lip of the cup holder and stays plugged in. (Thankfully there are two 12v receptacles)

So easy Pics with red arrows and circles are not needed....

but

Ok Not much to see but here are some pics of the finished product.

This is what I think people who want to hard wire in fuseboxes want to avoid. But I prefer to use what the vehicle already gives me. I tried to snap off the fugly receptical cap but it appears it doesn't simply snap off without breaking it. That is the only thing that bothered me.....LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View from passenger side....That little hump in the liner is the Traffic receiver tuck away. Its center mirror so it looks natural..LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From the outside..nothing much to see. Hidden by the tint

[​IMG]

Behind the glovebox You can see the attached receptacles duct taped. LOL The excess wire from the extension is bundled tie wrapped and attached to the steel cross bar above the glove box
    rather than cut and spliced for a cleaner run. I did not want to cut a wire doing this or tap the fuse box and look for grounding points

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top