Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Steering wheel shakes when I brake

Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel shakes when I brake

I replaced my pads about 2 months ago. I didn't bother looking at the rotors, but I am thinking that may be the reason. I have 45k miles on the truck and have never had them machined. Do you think that can be what's doing it?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
warped rotors for sure.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Grease Monkey
TRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant futureTRDsport2010 has a brilliant future
Marines: Motor Transport Mechanic
Name: Corey
TRDsport2010's Tacoma Gallery
rotors out of round 100%
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
What are the chances of machining them to fix the issue? I guess its hard to tell without seeing them.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
What are the chances of machining them to fix the issue? I guess its hard to tell without seeing them.
they probably can fix them. I would take them to your local NAPA store and have them looked at.

If they can't fix them new ones aren't too expensive.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, thats good to know. I was about to get my tires balanced because about a year ago my steering wheel would shake around 45mph and balancing the tires fixed that. I got new tires recently and thought discount did a bad balancing job, but then realized it was only happening when I braked. I appreciate the info guys
Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I think I might just buy new rotors. They aren't too expensive.

I was looking at the ones they sell at napa, but aren't sure what to get:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...word&Nty=1&N=0

Any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
braaap

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Just go in to the store and have them look it up. Im not sure if you're supposed to put new rotors on without replacing the pads though. Maybe just rough them up with some sandpaper first?
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any suggestions?

Enter the year and Tacoma and it will give you 3 choices. 2 are for a 5 kug and only one option for a 6 lug. If your just street driving take the cheapest that fit
Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think these are fine? Like enough left not to buy new ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Steering wheel shakes when I brake-photo.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
Do you think these are fine? Like enough left not to buy new ones?
no way of telling without a micrometer. They will tell you if they are thick enough to turn for free when you take them in.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
I called pep boys and they said their machine that does rotors off the vehicle has been broken for like 5 months so they only offer to do them on the vehicle which is $40 per rotor..yikes!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
I called pep boys and they said their machine that does rotors off the vehicle has been broken for like 5 months so they only offer to do them on the vehicle which is $40 per rotor..yikes!
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT got to pep boys for anything! Anywhere is better than pep boys lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy new rotors and u get what u pay for ...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy some off of eBay for 200$ sloted and cross drilled beter than 40$ each at pepboys
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
$200 for rotors? That seems pretty expensive. I think these will work: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50070+2070023
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Pizzajon is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
Pizzajon's Tacoma Gallery
Its really easy to do. Trust me I have about 0 mechanical skills. Here is a link I found online that might help you. it will save you some money this way.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/topic/rep...s-on-a-tacoma/

Good luck
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #18
braaap

Quote:
$200 for rotors? That seems pretty expensive. I think these will work: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50070+2070023
The cheapest at NAPA will be fine.
Drilled and slotted rotors tend to wear out the pads quicker.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
ok cool, looks like im installing some rotors after work
Old 01-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
Someone didnt put the tailgate down!
THROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHROUGHITALLDUDE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
THROUGHITALLDUDE's Tacoma Gallery
the next set of rotors i get will be slotted and dimpled check out summitracing.com they have good prices BUTTTT
X2 on the you get what you pay for

if want more problems by the 50 dollar rotors =)