Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter

Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
trd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck
trd09's Tacoma Gallery
DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter

First DIY writeup.

My 09 has 30k on its original cabin air filter. I took it out and it looked nasty. Pine needles fell out, etc. See the pic...

So I went to Autozone to buy a replacement and hoped I could get something carbon or charcoal to help take care of odors. They only had a replacement STP filter for $13.

I went to Home Depot and purchased the home filter that's adjustable for $10. It will be able to make many more filters in the future.

After installation, the flow may be decreased a bit, but I don't have the climate control on "high" that often. But the air smells great!

Total tools needed: scissors
Total cost: $10

First step is removing old filter. Remove glovebox by opening it, removing the black "shock" on the right from the bottom tab, then lowering and pulling out.

You will see two tabs holding the door to the filter. Press down on each of the tabs and the door will swing open. Filter slides out. (You can see this in the last pic).

As far as creating the replacement filter, the pics should suffice...
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0142.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0143.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0144.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0145.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0146.jpg  

DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0147.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0149.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0150.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0151.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0152.jpg  

DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0153.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0154.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0155.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0156.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0157.jpg  

DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0158.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0159.jpg   DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter-dsc_0162.jpg  
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
FLYNN LIVES!
7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed7A7ER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter Armament Mechanic
7A7ER's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Totally Easy!

Totally Easy and Just like you prescribed! Found the exact filter set at Lowes for 10 bucks and just followed your picture guide. Very Cool, good pictures man, thanks for the write up!

Still have the squeak in my fan motor, so before I button it all back up, I'm gonna take the fan motor apart, again, and pry the fan wheel off like they said in another thread and get some bearing grease under there.

Ahhhh...I love it when a project comes together!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
PPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of lightPPower05 is a glorious beacon of light

Firefighter: IAFF 1664
Name: Perry
PPower05's Tacoma Gallery
Saw your thread a couple weeks ago... My truck has 20000 on it now, and purchased the same filter! Thanks for the idea, doing it this afternoon! Great idea!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
she'll ride
nut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shednut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AC3 (Vet)
Name: Patrick
nut's Tacoma Gallery
Works great. Made a with two pieces of the plastic though. I dont notice any real difference in flow rate. Seems quieter? Im happy with it, plus I have enough filter to make at least 6 more!

Edit: you can smell the difference! Smells a lot cleaner in the cab!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up OP. Headed to Lowes..