Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Removing something that has been weld on

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Removing something that has been weld on

Hi Guys-

This question isn't about a Tacoma, hopefully I put this in the right place..

The dealership we bought my wifes car from removed the stainless exhaust tips and put chrome tips on.. They are terrible and are rusting, so I ordered the OEM Stainless that just bolt right on.

My question is, the tips have been Weld on. Is there an easy way to cut through a weld? A hacksaw doesn't seem to be doing the trick... I need the pipes to remain the same size, so shortening the pipes is not an option.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
DAN_FPC is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DAN_FPC's Tacoma Gallery
zip it off with a die grinder.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks.. I looked into those, but since I probably wouldn't need one of those for anything else, I am thinking I may be money ahead taking into a local place and seeing if they will grind it off..
Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
jdmbb is on a distinguished road
Army: MS4 ROTC
jdmbb's Tacoma Gallery
dremel and cut off wheels? if you dont have a dremel you can never go wrong with having one.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #5

Do you think a dremel will have enough power to cut through a weld? I used a hack saw and it barely did anything..

Harbor freight makes a Dremel knock off for $9.99.. I doubt I could go wrong. Unless it is totally worthless.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Nothern sells a grinder for $15 and a cut off wheel for $2 or $3.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmbb View Post
dremel and cut off wheels? if you dont have a dremel you can never go wrong with having one.
Ha ha dremel will use $100 of cut of wheeels. its better to just go to Harbor frieght buy cheapest grinder and pack of cut of wheels.

Total cost maybe $30

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...der-91222.html
Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Ha ha dremel will use $100 of cut of wheeels. its better to just go to Harbor frieght buy cheapest grinder and pack of cut of wheels.

Total cost maybe $30

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...der-91222.html
Or go to wal-mart. I bought my black & decker angle grinder from wal-mart for $20 many years ago. It gets quite a bit of use and works great.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
Do you think a dremel will have enough power to cut through a weld? I used a hack saw and it barely did anything..

Harbor freight makes a Dremel knock off for $9.99.. I doubt I could go wrong. Unless it is totally worthless.
I owned one of these and they are not very good. It had trouble cutting through a plastic model car, so I doubt it would even cut metal.

If I was you I would just take it to a local muffler shop and have them cut the old one off and weld the new one on. It probably won't cost much more than buying an angle grinder and doing it yourself.

Products Discussed in this Thread