Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Fuel Pump Replacement 05 V6

Old 02-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
djbennett is on a distinguished road
Name: DJ
djbennett's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Pump Replacement 05 V6

So I am driving home from work in snow covered ice and more snow falling; the engine dies and won't start back up...Couldn't be anything serious, engine and all was very strong beforehand (65k miles). A bottle of Heet later, no progress. Finally started back up (started immediately) by pounding on fuel tank while cranking. I drive 1 block and engine dies, same problem, this time pounding doesn't work. Diagnosis is failed pump. Aftermarket pump cost is ~$550, OEM is ~$750. Has anyone replaced this type of in-tank pump? Is it reasonable to DYI or better off taking to the dealership? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
endoman is on a distinguished road
endoman's Tacoma Gallery
It happen to me two times in my S10 pickup. Just died. You can replace it yourself. The hard part for me was removing the hose and vent hose in the filler neck part. Get a manual and follow the steps.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
a guy on here replaced his by removing the bed. looked a hell of a lot easier then trying to drop the tank
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine, i STRONGLY suggest you pull the bed off, and not drop the tank.

also, you can get a fuel pump from URD for about $100- $150 and they are better than stock.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Is there a sticky with pics and procedures to removing the bed? I bought a shop manual advising to drop the tank (no procedure for bed removal). If its easier to remove the bed (and camper shell) than drop the tank, I will do it that way...Especially if the URD pump I ordered installs easier by removing the bed. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbennett View Post
Is there a sticky with pics and procedures to removing the bed? I bought a shop manual advising to drop the tank (no procedure for bed removal). If its easier to remove the bed (and camper shell) than drop the tank, I will do it that way...Especially if the URD pump I ordered installs easier by removing the bed. Any thoughts? Thanks.
just remove the six bolts in the bed and slide it down and over a bit
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #7

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
just remove the six bolts in the bed and slide it down and over a bit
just dont over do it. your lights and/or bed plug are still connected
Old 02-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
For just about any in-the-tank fuel pump it is easier to pull the bed than drop the tank. I had to swap the fuel pump in my '92 F-150 after 200k miles. I tried the tank-drop method first, but later found much quicker success with pulling the bed. Just make sure you either A) have a second vehicle for parts you forgot, B) have everything you think you might need while your under there.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Thanks for all of your replies...I will try to post pics and procedures once I receive the parts and warm up the garage! I will also keep an eye on this sticky for any other great input.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I read that there was a voluntary recall on these fuel pumps for the V6... I'm looking into why mine will crank but won't start in my sub zero weather(with a brand new battery).. who can i blame??