1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Fogs Wiring question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by cicada83, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    cicada83

cicada83 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midland, MI
    Vehicle:
    Retro white SR5 4x4
    Volant ram air, Bestop soft topper
    I have a set of after market fogs that I have made to look stock. I put them in their stock location on my 08' SR5 have a Scion switch I used and wired to battery with relay etc... I then wired into the fuse box with an add a fuse so if the car is on I can turn the fogs on. Now here is my problem. The add a fuse will jiggle loss and my stereo will go out some times. I also would like them to only turn on if my head lights are on. I am pretty sure there is a way to hard wire them into the headlights, but I am not sure which wire etc... Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Feb 9, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    cicada83

Member:
    Midland, MI
    Vehicle:
    Retro white SR5 4x4
    hum...kinda surprised no suggestions yet. Did I stump everyone?

3. Feb 10, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    cicada83

Member:
    Midland, MI
    Vehicle:
    Retro white SR5 4x4
    thanks for the reply. Even if I could have then on with just the running lights on it would work for me. I just want a little more of a factory wiring set up then having the junky add a fuse wiggle around disconnecting my lights and radio if I hit a big bump. Thanks for the suggestions!

4. Feb 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Subbed for later

5. Feb 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    tubesock

tubesock Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the easiest way would be to just get a better tap. I used an add-a-fuse tap and it works great.

If your fog light switch is illuminated you can connect the switch power to the same wire as the illumination. That way the switch will work whenever your parking/head lamps are on.

I have a 2010 and I added aftermarket fogs with a stock toyota fog switch. I powered the switch from an fuse-tap that i plugged into the headlight circuit, I think. That way I can turn on the fogs at any time. I have an RSCA switch nearby which has the same pin setup as the OEM fog switch so it was easy to tap into for the illumination. If you have nearby 4 pin switches (RSCA or LSD button): solid green is illumination power, green with white tracer is ground. I suspect its the same coloring on an indicating (6pin) switch like the a Clutch Start Cancel but I didn't look.

6. Feb 13, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    efmugen

efmugen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pasadena,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4-banger
    I too have aftermarket wiring, I just tap the power wire to the headlight fuse located under the hood, my fogs go on with my headlights.

Products Discussed in

To Top