1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seized Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by The Munster, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    The Munster

The Munster [OP] I like turtles!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    So today at work i was at wash bay cleaning foot prints i left in a car and one of my coworkers asked me to help him push a Sequoia back to the shop (almost a 1/4 mile). I asked him why, he said"cause it started knocking and then died" long story short he did a t-belt and oil change and some how he forgot to put oil in. he drove it with no oil and it started knocking. he stopped at a gas station and bought oil, engine stopped in the parking lot of the dealership. So my question is, would you be furious if this happend to your Sequoia, even if we were replacing the engine and not charging for the previous work. or would you remain calm and still return in the future????

remember even thought this is a dealership, it still can happen to anyone

2. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think it would make me question whether I would want you guys doing anything else to my vehicle .

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    The Munster

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    i could see that... but you'd be surprised how often this actually does happen at other dealers

4. Feb 7, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    if there was no emotional attatchment to the sequioa, then I'd be calm while you replaced the engine, then trade it in when I got it back..It will never be the same.

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    IF they do it right- a complete engine swap doesn't come with the gremlins a collision/frame rack repair does. I had an engine replaced due to oil starvation and never had any issues with it after that (except the problems that plagued all the 2000 5.2L engines.) I was probably in an ever better place cause it gave me clean and new parts to FI from there.

OP-I would be pretty pissed...and you better believe I wouldn't be coming back to your shop. You guys are the pros and let something like this happen?? Maybe I'm a big picky cause the mechs in the hanger are so careful and have so many checklists and what not- but I wold think putting oil in shouldn't be something that gets forgotten...

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I would not be furious or livid but I would be reasonably upset. After all, it is just a vehicle but it is my vehicle. An unscheduled engine swap is seriously inconvenient. I can understand a backyard mechanic royally screwing the pooch -- you get what you pay for -- but a certified professional technician should have safeguards and reminders and a number of other measures to prevent such epic failures. Above all, I am more shocked that anyone would actually screw the oil cap back on the cover before adding oil. Do one thing at a time for Pete's sake, or if you must do several things at once, check and recheck to be sure nothing is shorted or forgotten. Everyone's in such a goddam hurry these days, I wish we could all realize it's killing us and just take a breath, relax. This is at least the 3rd dealership-service horror story of its kind, probably lots more out there that I've not seen. Good thing I do my own oil changes. I have found it helps to put the new oil in the work area, so it's kind of in the way and will be very difficult to forget the most important thing.

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I'd be pissed at the stupidity but I'd take the compensation. I think a new engine is resonable. If the original engine was getting a timing belt it had a few miles on it and now it's getting a new engine so I think that's a fair solution.

8. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    I would be pissed and would not accept anything but a brand new engine. I can do an oil change my self. I can do some more but I know hardly anything about engines. So if I brought in my car to get oil changed and that happens, I would lose a lot of respect.

9. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

10. Feb 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    +1

11. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I'd be pissed and would not go back.

12. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    It was always a problem, now its even more, since all dealerships are trying to lower the cost. So They hire High school kids to do the work. Then again people dont want to pay for "real" mechanic anyway so no wonder dealership are cutting down.
    Thats why I do all my work. I can not afford real mechanic and sure as hell I won't let some kido who is probably a virgin touch my engine.
    Now since this is free repair you can imagine that swap is going to be done in record time so I would not want that either. I would tow truck to other dealer not associated to the current one, tell them to do it right and send invoice to the dealer at fault.

13. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    I would never return to the shop, ANY shop. When I work on an engine and the oil is drained, a piece of paper is placed on the steering wheel that says "NO OIL". Once the oil is replaced, the paper is removed.

This should NEVER happen. Only when people decide to cut corners does a mistake of this nature occur. I do not want my vehicle serviced by anyone who cuts corners because other things will be missed as well.

Sorry, but IMO, there is no getting around this. Do your job and do it right or I will not be back, EVER.

14. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd be pretty pissed but blowing up on people doesn't get anything accomplished. I'd let you guys replace the engine and pay for my rental while it's in the shop. After that, I most likely wouldn't return in the future. As someone else pointed out, if the engine just had the timing belt replaced, it's got some miles on it so you can't be too upset over getting a brand new engine in a higher mileage vehicle on someone else's dime... it's almost a blessing!

15. Feb 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    The Munster

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Moody AFB, GA
    i can see where all of you guys are coming from about not coming back.. as for the virgin comment, everyone has to pop that cherry ;), i started on lube rack fresh out of high school on my 18 birthday, wrecked 1 or 2 trucks, now i'm tearing down and rebuilding 3.0L(toyota f#*k up) engine and its only been a year and half... granite the kid that siezed the engine came from job corp and not T-TEN like me :cool:

16. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I would accept either a new motor or a third party rebuilt motor. And in this case, it sounds like the pistons siezed instead of throwing a rod. The cylinders might be either honeable or bored one size over, crank will probably need turning, and I would replace cam and lifters, if they didn't look perfect. Of course, rings, pistons and bearings. Now you have an engine with one less rebuild cycle available. What is the value of an rebored block vs a virgin block?

If the shop makes it right, I would be OK with it. On the other hand, my FJ60 was a dealership horror story, with one dealer destroying the first engine and a next dealership destroying the replacement engine.

Howard

17. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:23 AM
    tacoriffic

tacoriffic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Clarion CX609 HU, Satoshi Grill, More to come
    X1,000,000

18. Feb 11, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    FTB530

FTB530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuba City Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota tacoma
    level kit,air raid intake,

I wouldnt be happy,but as long as the dealer put a BRAND NEW engine and paid for a rental car while mine was being repaired ,i probably wouldnt go balistic.

Products Discussed in

To Top